Diatoms or worse kind of algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malupoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, this last week I have had a break out of brown fuzz all over my plants and some of my substrate. I'm familiar with diatom outbreaks but this tank has been cycled for atleast 5 weeks now.
My thoughts were diatoms were within first stages of cycling....
The fuzz comes of rather easily but it seems to be browning my hair grass. I have lots of new growth of hair grass but all the stuff I bought is browning out and probably dying now.
It has attached to a few other plants but nothing like the hair grass.
Christmas moss has a fair bit on it too. Included a few pics
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392521906.329140.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392522177.009697.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392522246.228916.jpg

Current levels:
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20
Temp: 28

Thanks for any help

Post your light schedual and strength and tempature of lights. Do you use co2 and frets

Have you done any major water changes as of late. It should start to get better as you add co2 and ferts

Water change schedule is 30% every week on Tuesdays.
I haven't needed to to do higher as my nitrates haven't creeped up at all.

It could be a small diatom bloom. This is caused by high silicates in your change out water but it dosent seem likely I believe once you start dosing co2 and some sort of fertilizer you will start to see progress just don't drop photoperiod below six hours.

Thank you very much.
Should I take out the hair grass that's gone brown? It looks pretty much gone my only major issue is my apistos hide in it most of the time.

Give it a little time it didn't look completely gone mine went brown to about a half in above the root then bounced back. Trim it tho

Back
Top Bottom