Did something ate my plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looks like something ate my plant, but I can't think of what, as it never happened before :/
Could Apple Snail do this, or maybe some pests snails (I have a lot of those totally flat ones, so I have bought another Assasin Snail-- there's two of them now)?
Any info will help, so I'd know what to do if there's anything I can do...

Attachments

• image-2218056081.jpg
    image-2218056081.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 117
senemedar said:
Looks like something ate my plant, but I can't think of what, as it never happened before :/
Could Apple Snail do this, or maybe some pests snails (I have a lot of those totally flat ones, so I have bought another Assasin Snail-- there's two of them now)?
Any info will help, so I'd know what to do if there's anything I can do...

Looks like death by nuisance snail..

I thought it's a snail as well, but recently I've found more leaves looking like that after just 48hrs, and I don't think I have that much snails...

Can this be caused by too much CO2 (Excel) or fertiliser?

How long have those yellow spots been there? What's your nitrate testing at? Remember you need to shake the snot out of the second nitrate test kit for it to work.

aqua_chem said:
How long have those yellow spots been there? What's your nitrate testing at? Remember you need to shake the snot out of the second nitrate test kit for it to work.

It starter to happen about a week ago, more-less.
The test reported between 20 and 40 ppm (I never can tell the difference) just before the water change. I'll test it later in the evening again. Although the test is over three years old so not most reliable source of info, I suppose...

...and I always thought it's the plants "eating" nitrates, and not the other way round :)

If you would have bottomed out on your nitrates, that could have been causing your issue.

The thing about snails is that they usually don't go for healthy plants. So here's what I see as happening. Those spots were probably a sign of some deficiency that weakened the plant. The affected leaf then either began to melt (which may be what we're seeing), or weakened the plant such that some sneaky critter (though not necessarily snails) took advantage of it. If the yellow spots preceded the incident like you describe, then I would definitely think that they had some hand in this incident.

Sometimes angels will just maul a plant for no reason though.

I don't have angels, but my Balloon Molly's are pretty hungry for green and I've seen them nipping on my floating plants, so I guess that my be it.
Is there anything I can do to save the plants?

It's happening to multiple leaves on two separate plants, but those two are the same kind. Other plants are unaffected for now. I can't remember the names now, but got the labels at home if that's gonna help in any way-- it's got to wait for evening though, as I'm at work now :)

Yes. I'm using Seachem Excel every other day plus liquid fertiliser that goes in once a week after PWC.
The plants have the roots all over them so I thought they love it, but now I have this leaves issue; I'll post some pictures when I get home.

Got some pictures:

As you can see the roots are growing like crazy on the other ones...
Can it be the light?

Attachments

• image-1476809426.jpg
    image-1476809426.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 87
  • image-4055916462.jpg
    image-4055916462.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 81
  • image-789573106.jpg
    image-789573106.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1885041169.jpg
    image-1885041169.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3389267423.jpg
    image-3389267423.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3616082870.jpg
    image-3616082870.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 75
Hmmm, I don't have all that much experience with critters eating my plants, but some of what I'm seeing definitely looks like deficiency issues.

Just to have all the information on the tank, can you give me your stats? Light type, fertilization, etc?

Nutrition is Tropica Aquacare Liquid Plant Nutrition.
The light is standard light that came with the tank: two 25W 8000k bulbs and one 20W Tricolour. All T8.
I have a spare 25W 16000k Tropical Daylight tube-- maybe it'll be a good idea to swap one of them for this one? Or should I invest in some root tabs?

Tough call on the root tabs, but if the budget allows, that might help you out. I would stick with the light you have, especially if you are otherwise satisfied with the results. Is this Plant Nutrition or Plant Nutrition+?

I have some white "dust" floating in the tank and now I think that may be from the leaves :(

Looks like they gonna die altogether and that would be a shame :(((

More leaves are turning yellowish now, even though I'm putting the fertiliser and CO2 from Excel.
I've done some research and found some voices that the light that comes original with the tank isn't any good to grow the plants so I've decided to switch one of the 25W to the Daylight bulb I've had spare. If it's gonna be any help - time will tell :)

It's turning into a Total disaster :(
It is possible that I overdosed the fertiliser or CO2? Should I stop dosing either/both of them?

I really could use some help!!

As I said earlier-- I've changed the bulb and I'm thinking about buying different fertiliser - would that be a good idea?

Result!!

I've changed one of the bulbs to Tropical Daylight few weeks ago and I see the results now! The plants have unfolded, some of them are growing again, although slowly. Now I know I can change the other one for the same as well :) Yay!

So remember: if you want to grow plants, don't use Aqua One's original lights :D

Back
Top Bottom