different way of getting co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, pressurized CO2 is liquid CO2. it turns from liquid to gas at the regulator at a very slow rate.

Actually it does this in the cylinder. If you put your tank upside down and the liquid gets into the regulator you will be in for some trouble (blown Orings if you're lucky)

You would pretty much have to heat the steel or aluminum to a molten state. Unless of course there is a weakness in the metal. We've discussed this in a paintball forum since there was a report of a kids tank exploding in his room and apparently "blowing the door off". The best guess we could make is the burst disk was replaced with a bolt (required or the burst disk will break @ 1500PSI, well under the 3000 the tank is rated for) and the tank must have been scratched deeply or flawed in some other way. Even my 10lb tank has a burst disk on the back of the output (round with a couple holes in it, on the inside of that removable piece is a thin peice of metal that will stress and blow @ a rated pressure. Replacing it with a bolt makes the tank a bomb (if the pressure ever gets that high)

That and we also believe the story to be a farce, even a tank rupture would alleviate the pressure long before it sent out shrapanel or even fully exhausted instantly. There is a rash of anti-paintball people that are polluting the media with bad stories.. most of which if true are just stupidity (like shooting marbles at eachother).. or playing with velocities way in excess of 300FPS. (300FPS+ can break a bone @ 10feet).. the safety of the equipment, Co2 tanks included is phenominal, esp. when adhered to (like replacing burst disks with a new burst disk, not a bolt). My masks lens is tested with a ball bearing @ 400FPS. Far exceeding what you will see on a field.

These tanks are sold with the understanding that they will be left out in the sun (and I've seen a couple burst disks let go), dragged on gravel, get muddy, dirty even get hit with projectiles.. nothing does them any damage to be concerned about except for gravel and stupidity.

i read in a paintball magazine that a guy was unscrewing his co2 tank, but the tank unscrewed but the ?gold thing? stayed in the gun. the bottle shot off and killed a woman. now i think its a rule to have a line painted on your tank so it wont happen.

another guy died when his camoflage caught on fire and died of sulfur or something.

Pressure vessels (like CO2 tanks) do not explode unless there is something explosive inside them and CO2 is not explosive. A puncture in the tank will not cause the tank to break into shrapnel. But the tank itself may become a projectile like in krap101's story.

Paintball tanks and the CO2 tanks used in the hobby are very different. CO2 tanks used for paintball are ment to be used by the idiots you speak of, and are more safe for general people.

The CO2 tanks we use for this hobby require inspections every 5 years or so. If you SCUBA dive, you know you must get your tank visually inspected every year (i think?). I saw my tank blow up one day when it was being filled. They break becasue of a flaw in the metal. They always fill SCUBA tanks in a vat of water, mainly to keep the tank cool, and to insure nobody is hurt should the tank break. Like Wizzard~Of~Ozz said, a tank breaking is very possible, a tank releasing shapnel like we think of it (gernade sytle) is proably uncommon if not impossible, the gas simply escapes.

As for the line you mentioned, yes it exists. It must be like that when it leaves the manufacturer. I assume its to make sure everything lines up properly, however I dont really know. When somthing goes wrong with pressurized gas, you simply do not have enough strenght to stop the pressure of the gas.

As far as using baking soda and vinegar, I would suggest using a bell and small batches of CO2.

A CO2 bell is simple to make, practically free, and you can EASILY tell when it is time to add more CO2.

I think small batches of CO2 will be a lot simpler, easier and safer. Storing CO2 in a pressurized bottle runs the risk of blowing up the bottle unless you buy a lot special equipment. You will also have problems of air getting in when you add more vinegar.

I suggest finding the smallest bottle you can, and put a hole and airline in the lid. Next, put the other end of the airline under the bell and then fill the bottle full with your vinegar and baking soda. This will fill up your bell.

Another thought:
A while back I mixed baking soda with powdered citric acid. The two powders do not react until you add a little water and then it really foams up! I used ice to give a slow release of water. I used it to make a time bomb (don't try this at home :wink: ). But you could add an airline and use it for a slower release of CO2.

i read in a paintball magazine that a guy was unscrewing his co2 tank, but the tank unscrewed but the ?gold thing? stayed in the gun. the bottle shot off and killed a woman. now i think its a rule to have a line painted on your tank so it wont happen.

another guy died when his camoflage caught on fire and died of sulfur or something.

There are tanks that use only the tank pressure to hold the "Brass thing" in. Typically they are for tournament players who travel. They can decompress the tank and remove the regulator (I'm talking High Pressure Air) so it's safe for air travel.

The 10lb tanks are designed to the same specs as a paintball tank. The only difference is size and the lack of a pin valve.

Paintball tanks require re-certification every 3 years (5 years on some HPA tanks). my 10lb tank requires it every 5.

and on subject. you could buy a compressor. but the thought behind this is to make it cheaper, not more expensive (and a compressor that will get up to 1000PSI is not cheap.)

i was thinking. what would happen if you mixed baking soda with a slight acid. maybe like 7.1 ph? (7.2 is neutral right) or a weaker acid than vinegar?

and if we did do something with airline to try to keep it constant, then what would stop the co2 from going back up the airline? check valve?

maybe try and get the vinegar into a fine mist?... if that would do anything..

Back
Top Bottom