difficulty picking a LED light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexp08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon tank that im looking to start up as a planted tank. Im looking low-med light, more on the med side. Im on a budget and dont want to do a DIY. So ive found and been recommended three options however no one can really give me much input on any of them.

My three options are:
Beamswork Bright
LED Aquarium Lighting by BeamsWork

Beamswork Pent
LED Aquarium Lighting by BeamsWork

Finnex Stingray
AquaVibrant

please provide some input, if youve had one, know someone, how it went etc.

My tank is a 75 gallon
48 x 18 x 20 inch

Stingray will not cut it on a 75, have one on a 10 and its sweetness. I'm not a fan of beamswork but I have read they do grow plants. I like mixed colors, all white would be a wash out me thinks. . Can you spring for a current satellite plus or better yet a finnex planted plus?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dont think that would be an accurate representation of beamswork. That is their submersible bar that holds only 14 leds.

I just looked into getting a Finnex Fugeray Planted + with moonlights. They aren't too pricy and should provide plenty of light for the plants you want. I talked to the owner of my lfs and he said he has had lots of experience with this fixture and recommended it over others I had looked at.

I just looked into getting a Finnex Fugeray Planted + with moonlights. They aren't too pricy and should provide plenty of light for the plants you want. I talked to the owner of my lfs and he said he has had lots of experience with this fixture and recommended it over others I had looked at.

I have one and it works great. However, it's about $37 over OP's budget

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Exactly, it kinda sucks as its only a few more dollars but thats what happens on a budget build. thats why im going low tech in the first place. its cheaper

My tank is only a 29 gallon and the fixture for mine was only $86 with free shipping on Amazon. I forgot OP's tank was larger than mine!

I think for $37 extra dollars, it's worth the wait for a planted+ if you want to go LED. Best bang for the buck on features and has the dedicated red LEDs too.. the reds are not only beneficial to plant photosynthesis, but it'll make your inhabitants and overall tank look more vivid.. All white LEDs tend to wash out colors, leaving it a bit drab.

I think for $37 extra dollars, it's worth the wait for a planted+ if you want to go LED. Best bang for the buck on features and has the dedicated red LEDs too.. the reds are not only beneficial to plant photosynthesis, but it'll make your inhabitants and overall tank look more vivid.. All white LEDs tend to wash out colors, leaving it a bit drab.

Yes, yep and uhh huh..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Highly agree!

Being on a budget, have you thought about perusing various websites' classified sections? You can get some nice, gently used items for a reduced price over new!

With the release of the new Finnex lineup (is it out already?) you may find someone unloading previously owned models. However, the planted+ is sort of newish.
And why the FugeRay still costs as much as it does is beyond me. I have one so I guess I can still command a resale price for it.

You should just pull up those big boy britches and go for the current satellite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I literally got my planted+ maybe two weeks ago (thanks Brookster for the advice!!) ...sooo happy with the results...the plants are growing much faster...and my fish still look very Bright and not washed out :)

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-24-Inch-Daylight-Plant-25-watt/dp/B00BFUJUIW

61eNOnPNSSL._SL1500_.jpg

Picked up this on sale at petco (on a whim) for 120$ and within 2 days my plants have rebounded 200%. Its insane how fast plants can recoup if they are not completely dead.
My Wisteria went from keeled over and curled under leaves to now reaching dam near out of the water!
My Banana plant is already sprouting a new leaf and new bulbs and my Val has some new healthy shoots and is reaching up again instead of laying limp..... I highly think this is more a Med-High Light LED honestly.

Grab some root tabs and liquid fert and grab a light, trust me Im as cheap as they come and Im GLAD I did.

The Finnex is nice, it was my first choice for a while

Amazon.com : Finnex Aquarium LED Light, 30-Inches, 20.8-Watts, FugeRay, Moonlights : Pet Supplies

513W7-HAnIL._SL1500_.jpg

IF.... IF IF you REALLY only have a 100$ or less budget right now, can you pick up the 30" version fro 85$ and hang it sightly over the tank (it will disperse the light out but might not get as deep? Or the 36 for an extra 14$?

well i sprung for the planted+. itll be here tomorrow

I just got my second one today for my new tank! You'll love it!

Back
Top Bottom