Diffuser is blocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a fluval co2 diffuser. It's only about 3 weeks old. Been just fine until I noticed the bubble counter had come of the wall of the tank and was upside down. I've taken it out and note that the tube between the counter and the diffuser was full of water. I've cleared it, but now when I hook it up the bubbles immediately decline as there's some kind of blockage in the diffuser.

Any tips?

I think you can open them up as I've seen people talk about replacing the disc but I can't seem to open it?

Figured it out!!!! Not enough pressure.

Still not sure how to remove the disc though when I need to? Does it twist?

Figured it out!!!! Not enough pressure.

Still not sure how to remove the disc though when I need to? Does it twist?

Not sure what diffuser you have so cant tell you how to remove disc, but theres really no need.

To clean a diffuser, remove it from your co2 tubing and take it out of the tank. Submerge it in a mild bleach solution which will kill any algae from the disc pores. Leave it to soak for an hour. Rinse thoroughly after the soak in fresh water. Can even leave to soak in dechlorinated water if you like (i dont though). Then place back in tank.

I clean my diffuser every month religiously this way to prolong its life span. In a tank badly affected with algae you may need to clean it more frequently

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use Hydrogen Peroxide to clean my Co2 Diffuser, fill a coffee cup with it. Then you can soak it for awhile, or do what I do.
Put it in the coffee cup, and use a syringe with airline tubing hooked to the syringe and diffuser, and press air through it while under the hydrogen. Just kind of have it suck in hydrogen, and expel it, then a light toothbrush cleaning of it. Cleans mine up in minutes, and I dont have to worry about bleach.

I use Hydrogen Peroxide to clean my Co2 Diffuser, fill a coffee cup with it. Then you can soak it for awhile, or do what I do.

Put it in the coffee cup, and use a syringe with airline tubing hooked to the syringe and diffuser, and press air through it while under the hydrogen. Just kind of have it suck in hydrogen, and expel it, then a light toothbrush cleaning of it. Cleans mine up in minutes, and I dont have to worry about bleach.

Yep good advice also. Not as effective as bleach but certainly less risk.

Toothbrush cleaning on the disc is not recommended though. Can damage the actual disc

Yep good advice also. Not as effective as bleach but certainly less risk.

Toothbrush cleaning on the disc is not recommended though. Can damage the actual disc

Interesting! Did not know! Thx!

Back
Top Bottom