Diffuser Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
At the moment i have my diffuser under my intake but I'm concerned that my outake is to high and is loosing c02.
Would it be better for me to place the diffuser under my circulation pump and aim the pump towards my plants.

Attachments

• image-937027702.jpg
    image-937027702.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1501322882.jpg
    image-1501322882.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2399263950.jpg
    image-2399263950.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2839182397.jpg
    image-2839182397.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 72
Im also worried that the c02 collects in my canister filter and when i shake the filter it all comes rushing out in one go. Could this suffocate my bacteria in the filter?

I've never heard of that happening. Sounds like you're diffuser isn't working 100% maybe. Since you have a canister filter have you ever seen a cerges reactor? Almost 100% diffusion plus it's one less piece of equipment in the tank. Here is a blurry pic of mine
img_1973597_0_f221bb31235e7637f05fc23c96901ce4.jpg

I use an inline diffuser and my canister still sucks in lots of air from my plants (oxygen). I just flip the filter on and off to clear the trapped air every couple if days. Even with 100% diffusion you can't always keep gas from entering the canister. If it's not co2 it's oxygen. *sigh* -_-

Thanks for the help guys. Iv decided to move the diffuser under the circulation pump so the bubbles get blown over the plants

I use an inline diffuser and my canister still sucks in lots of air from my plants (oxygen). I just flip the filter on and off to clear the trapped air every couple if days. Even with 100% diffusion you can't always keep gas from entering the canister. If it's not co2 it's oxygen. *sigh* -_-

Good point. Having excess o2 from the plants is always a good "problem" though (y).

Build yourself a cheap DIY inline reactor. And if you decide to do those keep it level with your canister and you. Will get no gas in your canister. All the gas stays in the reactor and diffuses into the water.
There is a great DIY vid on YouTube.

Attachments

• image-664650802.jpg
    image-664650802.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 135
Devon6209 said:
Build yourself a cheap DIY inline reactor. And if you decide to do those keep it level with your canister and you. Will get no gas in your canister. All the gas stays in the reactor and diffuses into the water.
There is a great DIY vid on YouTube.

That's a sick looking reactor! I just went with the ISTA MixMax. Got the large for about $17 online. It probably isn't as user friendly as a DIY one though. I ended up putting a quick disconnect with flow control on it and split my output line to keep micro-bubbles from coming out of the spraybar. It worked out great because I can easily disconnect it for cleaning and still have the filter running. Plus, having 2 outputs means good water flow, no co2 bubbles, and still get 100% diffusion, but it was a bit of a pain. Always something.

You can get inline atomizers on ebay pretty cheap as well if you're a fan of misting your plants with little CO2 bubbles. That's what I have hooked up atm.

Im also worried that the c02 collects in my canister filter and when i shake the filter it all comes rushing out in one go. Could this suffocate my bacteria in the filter?

As far as I understand disolved CO2 does not displace disolved oxygen and stauration levels of oxygen and CO2 are independent of each other. The extra CO2 should not bother the bacteria.

As far as I understand disolved CO2 does not displace disolved oxygen and stauration levels of oxygen and CO2 are independent of each other. The extra CO2 should not bother the bacteria.

Within reason (ie, not at ridiculous levels of CO2), this is correct. The bacteria will still have plenty of dissolved oxygen.

CorallineAlgae said:
That's a sick looking reactor! I just went with the ISTA MixMax. Got the large for about $17 online. It probably isn't as user friendly as a DIY one though. I ended up putting a quick disconnect with flow control on it and split my output line to keep micro-bubbles from coming out of the spraybar. It worked out great because I can easily disconnect it for cleaning and still have the filter running. Plus, having 2 outputs means good water flow, no co2 bubbles, and still get 100% diffusion, but it was a bit of a pain. Always something.

Thanks. I have my reactor on the intake of the filter so the water comin in keeps hitting the co2 and keeps its in the reactor and since it is a gas, it flows up an not into the canister. There is no bubbles in the tank. And about an hour after I turn off the co2, all left in the diffuser is gone.

Back
Top Bottom