Diffusing C02 through a power filter intake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alkane

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've heard one way to efficiently diffuse c02 throughout the tank is by feeding the hose directly into a power filter intake.

Opinions :fish2:

I would do that with diy co2, but would look at other methods of diffusion for pressurized. Just make sure that your water stays topped off to keep co2 loss from surface agitation at a minimum.

It seems like a good idea as the micro bubbles will be filter out by the filter floss.

Will it have any effect on the bacteria in the filter?

Cool thanks

So with DIY C02 would you prefer a glass diffuser or through the filter?

I'm not familiar with the efficiency of either method. If it were me, I would get a glass diffuser as well (they're cheap) and see which one gave the best results.

I heard the co2 eats away at the plastic after awhile and will wreck your filter. I use a glass diffuser from amazon and it works really good.

CO2 will be dissolved in the water and will still eat away at plastics. If anything, there might be a risk to any seals or gaskets, but I don't think that there are very many of those on HOBs.

I don't have a power head, but a simple motorized aqua one sponge filter with a bio wheel. I've noticed I could attach a DIY co2 kit and airline tubing to the output. would this be a viable option or would the co2 bubbles simply come out of the filter and rise to the surface?

perhaps there is specific piping or tubing I could find to direct the filter outflow and the co2 bubbles lower down in the tank?

hope I'm making some sense. very new to the hobby but am fascinated by aquatic plant life and it's synchronicity with fish.

For diy co2, you need a class diffusser. powerheads works but you must but it in the filter intake.
The reason that is there, is because there is not a lot of pressure in diy bottles, making it hard to use on reactors or they air intake of powerheads. Good Luke.
P.s. Also, i found it very noisy, to connected it on powerhead. Glass diffuser do a better job.

Each method has it's pro's and con's IME. Power heads/filters with CO2 in the intake make lots of noise when they chop 2 bps in their impeller's. The pro's for power heads is that some would argue that the tiny bubbles all over the tank are better than reactors. I think a reactor that dissolves CO2 100% is obviously better but to each their own.

I had great growth when I was shooting tiny CO2 bubbles everywhere out of my power head. I eventually got a glass diffuser and it ended up clogging and getting dirty. Eventually the bubbles coming out of it were too big and floated to the top.

I ended up getting the best, and consistent, results with a Red Sea 500 powered CO2 diffuser. Almost 100% of the CO2 is dissolved into the water column with that.

Just my $0.02.

I just drill a hole in the bottom of my eheim filter intake and connect it to the co2 tube.
IME, this method give 100% diffusion, so even with 1 bps in 75 gallon tank, I can keep the drop checker green and my plants grow very fast (forcing me to cut and throw them about every two weeks).

You can see the picture of my DIY2 from my posting in similar thread a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the ideas!

Sounds like there are a lot of options.

I ordered a couple glass diffusers. Gonna try using a koralia nano and a power filter. See what works best.

i ordered a glass diffuser from ebay and it sucked/well i broke it putting it one than when i did put the hose on the tube that was not broken off of the main thing it would not let bubble out unless i bumped the bps count to like 50 bps than turned it down to 2 bps it would let bubbles out al day than the next day it didnt let anything out same method to repeat... it was a spiral glass diffuser.
than i bought a itca max diffuser from dr foster and smith and tried that but i couldnt store it in my cabinet and it is very very loud.
now i built this one and it seems to be ok
if my drop checker is correct i have the cheap one from dr fosters and im using the solution it came with. it was at green when i put the reactor on and now it changed to yellow at 2 bps in a 55g tank.

Alkane said:
Thanks for the ideas!

Sounds like there are a lot of options.

I ordered a couple glass diffusers. Gonna try using a koralia nano and a power filter. See what works best.

I might get a glass diffuser also and see how it performs. it'll be my first co2 system anyway so pretty excited to get it all up and running :)

Back
Top Bottom