Digging into my first dirted tank ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd go with the 20 long. Yes, it has a bigger footprint but it will be shallower so you you would get better light penetration.

Would a finnex fugeray or ray 2 be too much light?

No and No. I've had good luck with a FugeRay with low-medium light plants, especially with the addition of DYI CO2.

With the higher output from the ray2 CO2 would be a good idea. The complaints I've read about the ray2 on this forum was the lack of reds caused the plants to look washed out.

Below is what my tank looked like last month before I trimmed it back. The broadleaf chain sword struggled for a few months under dual t5NO. After adding the FugeRay it improved a bit but really took off after CO2.
WARpLz3.jpg

No and No. I've had good luck with a FugeRay with low-medium light plants, especially with the addition of DYI CO2.

With the higher output from the ray2 CO2 would be a good idea. The complaints I've read about the ray2 on this forum was the lack of reds caused the plants to look washed out.

Below is what my tank looked like last month before I trimmed it back. The broadleaf chain sword struggled for a few months under dual t5NO. After adding the FugeRay it improved a bit but really took off after CO2.

Ok so let me ask a few questions :)
First off plant list! What is in that tank!? That is the kimd of look Im shooting for!
Second. From my understanding the walstad method is supposed to negate the need for co2 as the dirt provides carbon. Is this true?
Here is what I was thinking. I got some downoi? I think that is how it is spelled. I was thinking that, crypt bal something, banana plant, flame moss, and micro chain sword. Would that all be ok with a finnex fugeray no injected ferts and no co2?
Also will the downio carpet? I dont want any substrate showing almost!
Also any other plany recomendations?

Ok so let me ask a few questions :)
First off plant list! What is in that tank!? That is the kimd of look Im shooting for!
Second. From my understanding the walstad method is supposed to negate the need for co2 as the dirt provides carbon. Is this true?
Here is what I was thinking. I got some downoi? I think that is how it is spelled. I was thinking that, crypt bal something, banana plant, flame moss, and micro chain sword. Would that all be ok with a finnex fugeray no injected ferts and no co2?
Also will the downio carpet? I dont want any substrate showing almost!
Also any other plany recomendations?

From that pic, Broadleaf chain sword takes up the front and left side. Taller dwarf sag along the left rear and a shorter dwarf sag right rear. Rear center is Bacopa caroliniana. Right side middle is Crypt wendtii red. Right foreground is four leaf clover (Marsilea quadricostatus). Few strands of green cabomba right rear corner. The Bacopa came from PetSmart in a gel pack. It actually grew too fast so it's gone now (to my shrimp tank).

I really do not know much about the Walstad method to comment.

I don't know about Downoi though I've read that it does better with co2. Not sure how easy it is to carpet.

Your list looks fine with the Fugeray. The micro chain sword might require a bit more light (plus CO2). You could tie the flame moss to plastic mesh and make a carpet out of it. However, it tends to grow vertically rather than horizontally. The crypt balansae may grow to the surface in a 20 long. I think crypts are underrated; not very demanding light wise and a nice variety of them. The broadleaf chain sword can grow like a weed and IMO would look better as a carpet in a much bigger tank. I am attempting to do Staurogynes repens as a foreground but it is looking iffy. I also have Alternanthera reineckii in the back but it so short ATM you can't see it from the front.

From that pic, Broadleaf chain sword takes up the front and left side. Taller dwarf sag along the left rear and a shorter dwarf sag right rear. Rear center is Bacopa caroliniana. Right side middle is Crypt wendtii red. Right foreground is four leaf clover (Marsilea quadricostatus). Few strands of green cabomba right rear corner. The Bacopa came from PetSmart in a gel pack. It actually grew too fast so it's gone now (to my shrimp tank).

I really do not know much about the Walstad method to comment.

I don't know about Downoi though I've read that it does better with co2. Not sure how easy it is to carpet.

Your list looks fine with the Fugeray. The micro chain sword might require a bit more light (plus CO2). You could tie the flame moss to plastic mesh and make a carpet out of it. However, it tends to grow vertically rather than horizontally. The crypt balansae may grow to the surface in a 20 long. I think crypts are underrated; not very demanding light wise and a nice variety of them. The broadleaf chain sword can grow like a weed and IMO would look better as a carpet in a much bigger tank. I am attempting to do Staurogynes repens as a foreground but it is looking iffy. I also have Alternanthera reineckii in the back but it so short ATM you can't see it from the front.

Cool thanks! I thought micro sword was low end of medium light? The flame moss is going on some driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom