Dinghy looking ants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 what billbug said also it looks like you have only stem plants in there they feed from the water column not from in ground roots so you would not benifit from tabs. I would up the excel dose to 1ml per day. I am dosing 4ml per day in my 20 plus running diy co2. The excel is an organic carbon suppliment and I have recently learned you can safely dose 1.5ml per gallon of water.

+1 what billbug said also it looks like you have only stem plants in there they feed from the water column not from in ground roots so you would not benifit from tabs. I would up the excel dose to 1ml per day. I am dosing 4ml per day in my 20 plus running diy co2. The excel is an organic carbon suppliment and I have recently learned you can safely dose 1.5ml per gallon of water.

Do not try dosing Excel or any liquid carbon that high unless you know exactly what your doing. Reason being is at that dose you need very high light, you need to be dosing daily dry ferts either PPS-Pro or El, and you have to have a ton of plants. Dosing at 1ml per 5 gallons is a good place to start. But with high light you really need to use dry ferts so your dosing all the macro and micro nutrients your plants need. Also only run lights for 6 hours.

LoL I wasn't recommending dosing that high just merely letting them know that more than the recommended dose is safe. Sorry if it seemd like that's how much I was saying to dose. :hide:

I'm dosing 5 Ml of excel a week now. That's all 5 ml on one day. Should I be doing 1 ml per day instead of all 5?

Yes it only lasts about 24hrs in the tank. Rivercats knows her stuff she gives great advice my planted tank looks awesome thanks to her ill post a before and after pic of it if u wanna see what dosing pps-pro and excel does for plants.

Day one I planted it around 5/8/13

ForumRunner_20130602_210101.jpg

A couple days ago before the trimming today they grew an additional couple inches.

ForumRunner_20130602_210315.jpg

Today after the trimming. I can't belive how fast threese plants are growing there really loving the pps-pro ferts and glut along with diy co2.

ForumRunner_20130602_210503.jpg

Purple should probably be removed- usually I only have seen that spectrum used for a) flowering freshwater plants or macro algae/ and copepod propagation in saltwater. They have 10g LED strip light hoods at Walmart for $30 or less and an awesome single bright by marineland for a 10g for just a little bit more ($40-$45) and that's retail- makes a huge difference, from personal nano and picotope experiences that my favorite light spectra for 10g 'normal' planted was 3700K and I kept them on for 8-10 hours. I've used compact florescent, t5 and t8 florescent and LED and as far dollars to donuts- on a 10g for myself I would just get 2 desk lamps and 2 natural daylight compact florescents and spot light them on your plants and do some research on what you want your end result to be, how elaborate you want plants to be.

Root tabs have only worked for me on my bulbs, my runners and training moss on screens for carpets and back drops. I swear by flourish tabs for slow release ferts. My other liquid ferts are excel daily, florapride every other day- half dose, and nutrafin (nitrogen supplement) and black water extracts with weekly water changes (or more depending on your stock list). Word of advice on nano tank care- check your water quality daily, they are notorious for spikes, pH swings and crashes. some helpful nano tank residents are amano shrimp, fiddler crabs, oto cats and dwarf crawfish....

Good Luck!!

It is a fertilizer dosing regimen that you pre mix and dose daily. And once its tuned in you are only dosing what the plants use daily unlike ei dosing you grossly overdose and do a big waterchange. Go to greenleafaquariums.com there's an article on there about both dosing regimins.

When I bought these they were bright and green. Iv had them for 2 months now

That is a t5ho (high output). That's awesome color there starting to show. They like your light. That color is kinda like there natural sunblock so to speak. It's a good thing when certain plants do that. High light is one of the ingredients to having plants show there true colors. What kind of plant is that?

Looks like ludwiga repens or rotalla indica I'm on my Droid n can't really see- your coloring looks like a mottled maroon- which is cool- you can get some fiery reds and hot pinks with both species if you can keep them in high intensity light for about 5 hours a day.

Filtration and pruning are other factors that immensely

LoL I wasn't recommending dosing that high just merely letting them know that more than the recommended dose is safe. Sorry if it seemd like that's how much I was saying to dose. :hide:

I knew that wasn't what you were saying. I just wanted anyone else not familiar with using liquid carbon to think that it was okay to do that... you don't need to hide... lol!

Back
Top Bottom