Dipping plants in peroxide.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read that doing this will destroy snail and snail eggs. I've never tried this before and I'm just asking if it's true. Today I'm planning on redoing my 10 gallon and messing with my 29. Do I just get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and let the plants sit in it for 5 minutes or so, then rinse them off? Thanks.

I read to soak for 1 minute a couple of times with good rinsing in between & after. I used regular Hydrogen Peroxide from any store. All my plants did just fine :).

I have read that doing this will destroy snail and snail eggs. I've never tried this before and I'm just asking if it's true. Today I'm planning on redoing my 10 gallon and messing with my 29. Do I just get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and let the plants sit in it for 5 minutes or so, then rinse them off? Thanks.

I don't think it does anything for snails, I believe peroxide dips are more for algae

So would I dilute it? Like what you do with bleach. But in this case it would be with water. To make a weaker solution.
Well I know you can buy various % of peroxide. I know its safe for humans to use 3% Peroxide. Not sure about fish, but that should be good:3

Well I know you can buy various % of peroxide. I know its safe for humans to use 3% Peroxide. Not sure about fish, but that should be good:3

I didnt know it came in various %. I know it's safe to use on dogs too. Whenever they get a cut, we rub it in the cut. I would dip the plants then rinse them off.

I didnt know it came in various %. I know it's safe to use on dogs too. Whenever they get a cut, we rub it in the cut. I would dip the plants then rinse them off.
Well, Hydrogen Peroxide is extremely dangerous. They can use it and a combustible for rocket fuel at 90%. So if you get it at 30%, I wouldn't recommend a use for you're aquarium. I would suggest to dilute it, or purchase it at 3%-10%.
Good Luck:) I couldn't really help you further as I don't know the procedures:)

I d have to look at the bottle & I m not at home right now. But, just regular stuff for home use. Are there really that many choices? Guess I never noticed.

I just use the peroxide I buy from Publix...I have had no issues. I let it soak in the peroxide in my sink for about 10 minutes and then drain it out and rinse the plants really well. It kills the algae on it and gets rid of the snail eggs i am pretty sure..

The stuff you buy at the drug store is 3% strength. It kills algae quite nicely, and will ruin the day of any snails or snail eggs that might be attached to your plants. It won't necessarily kill them, but in my experience they'll often drop off in the dip. KMnO4 will probably do a better job of killing them, but it's not as available.

Of course, you should always do a through visual inspection of new plants. That's the best way to prevent snails.

Ok I went and bought a bottle and it was 3%. I added it to the water and soaked my plants. Here is a picture of my totally rescaped 10 gallon. It had gravel but not now:D sorry about the glare.

Attachments

• image-2768709793.jpg
    image-2768709793.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 49
Ok I went and bought a bottle and it was 3%. I added it to the water and soaked my plants. Here is a picture of my totally rescaped 10 gallon. It had gravel but not now:D sorry about the glare.
Hi. Sorry for hijacking but I just wanted to ask about the plant, in the left hand side of your picture. I am completely clueless about plants and am looking for some easy, low maintenance plants for my guppy and fry tank. What is the name of it and does it require any special care, ferts, lights etc. Thanks, Ian

Hi. Sorry for hijacking but I just wanted to ask about the plant, in the left hand side of your picture. I am completely clueless about plants and am looking for some easy, low maintenance plants for my guppy and fry tank. What is the name of it and does it require any special care, ferts, lights etc. Thanks, Ian

No problem. If your asking about the big bushy one, it's water spirte(spelling?) my shrimp love hanging out in it. I just add liquid ferts once a week and it's a 10,000 k daylight bulb. I leave it on around 10 hours a day. I don't know much about plants either. I broke it in half because it was taking over. That's about 3-4 months of growth.

No problem. If your asking about the big bushy one, it's water spirte(spelling?) my shrimp love hanging out in it. I just add liquid ferts once a week and it's a 10,000 k daylight bulb. I leave it on around 10 hours a day. I don't know much about plants either. I broke it in half because it was taking over. That's about 3-4 months of growth.
Thanks, that's actually the one that was recommended to me. It's nice to see it in a tank rather than on google!!!. I have high Nitrates from my tap, so I need to plant. So do you reckon I could plant it in 1 tank and cut it and move to my other tanks??......

Thanks, that's actually the one that was recommended to me. It's nice to see it in a tank rather than on google!!!. I have high Nitrates from my tap, so I need to plant. So do you reckon I could plant it in 1 tank and cut it and move to my other tanks??......

Yes! Just give it time to grow. Be aware if you replant cuttings, they might die off a bit. It's normal they are just getting used to the new tank conditions and should bounce back.

Yes! Just give it time to grow. Be aware if you replant cuttings, they might die off a bit. It's normal they are just getting used to the new tank conditions and should bounce back.
Just one more dumb question!!. Do I trim the plant back to the stem??. As in, like cutting a branch off a tree trunk....

Back
Top Bottom