dirt on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's inside my tank and there's like dirt on the glass. Kinda in a rush so let me know what else info you'll need, thanks.

Without pictures, it's hard to give you anything concrete. Is this a dirt tank?

Possible ideas:

Diatoms
Stirred up substrate
Some microscopic fauna growing

Substrate is floramax and the second pic is dirt on the glass.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111130_142842.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111130_142842.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20111130_142909.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111130_142909.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 61
Is it not just algae build up? Have you got a mag float or glass cleaning device?

It's not algae, when i brush it off there's dust so I'm guessing It's dirt from the substrate.

Have u tried filter floss to see if it is something that would get caught in the filter? maybe it's small dusty substrate that's not getting picked up? Trying to think of ideas.

Looks like algae to me. You would see the dislodged algae come off the class when you wipe it off.

Its not diatoms, if that's what you're thinkin. I know that diatoms grow everywhere but It's slimey, this is just some kind of dirt. I'm running two filters soo...idk. It's not that big of a problem, it just looks unpleasant on the glass.

It looks like Green Dust Algae, which actually comes in several different colors. Wipes right off most of the time.

aqua_chem said:
It looks like Green Dust Algae, which actually comes in several different colors. Wipes right off most of the time.

Might be the case here, this is brown.

I am pretty sure they are diatoms. Diatoms used to form on my crypts leaves, I would rub them off and it seemed pike dust aswell

Back
Top Bottom