Dirt planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've heard alot about people using dirt under a layer of sand or gravel for their planted tanks. Do you use regular pre-fertilized potting soil for this? If this is the case, is an iron enriched substrate still necessary in addition?

Be sure to buy Organic potting soil. Many people use the Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil but I use a brand Just Natural that Lowes by me sells. I use powered laterite for extra iron.

Don't make the layers of dirt/gravel or sand too thick or it doesn't look good.

So you mix the dirt and laterite together then put a layer of sand or something on the top? The dirt doesn't make a mess in the tank when water is added?

Yes correct mix the dirt together put the dirt in the tank where you want it(if you want a slope make it now because you can't later) then add about the same amount if sand on too( this keeps the soil from escaping)

Can a DHG carpet grow well in sand? I know it's roots are very shallow so this puzzles me because I know it also needs the nutrients from the soil beneath- should I just do a very thin sand layer where I want the hairgrass?

But then again you don't want your substrate too high like mine :

Attachments

• image-947217746.jpg
    image-947217746.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 115
I've got DHG roots that grow an inch or two out the bottom of rockwool pots (~2" tall, so 3-4" of root structure easily), when they are searching for nutrients they'll stretch out and find it, no worry.

Great, thanks! That makes me feel better. I just really want to do everything right the first time because I know it's hard to mess with substrate after the tank is set up.
I can't wait to get home from college to start working on it! I've already started collecting cool driftwood pieces I find.

I add most of my dry dirt, sprinkle my laterite on, then finish adding my dirt. Then I moisten my dirt, not get it really wet, just enough you can push it down with your hands and get any air pockets out. I usually use 1-1/2" of dirt. Then add your cap layer, which I use 1-1/2" of cap. Place a bowl or plate on substrate so you don't mess your cap up when filling. You also want to turn the water on really slow.

So if I used dirt, laterite, more dirt, then a sand cap, would that be a better option than Eco-complete? I was planning on doing that just because it seems like the perfect all in one, but I would really like a sand cap and I read that sand will eventually sink to the bottom because Eco complete has bigger particles.

A dirted substrate will have more nutrients than EC will, but EC is more convenient to deal with if you're the type that likes messing with plants and moving them a lot. A well rooted crypt can make a mess if you ever want to pull it up.

So if I used dirt, laterite, more dirt, then a sand cap, would that be a better option than Eco-complete? I was planning on doing that just because it seems like the perfect all in one, but I would really like a sand cap and I read that sand will eventually sink to the bottom because Eco complete has bigger particles.

You can use any cap you want. I do suggest keeping some of your cap around for touch ups after planting or moving items.

Aqua is right that moving crypts and swords can be very messy so if you want to use any of these I suggest making sure they are where you want them to stay.

It will eventually lose most of the nutrients, but organic substrates have better CEC than clay based substrates like Flourite or EC, so it's still good.

Back
Top Bottom