Dirt vs commercial substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think most people mix all of this stuff together. Generally, the most plant nutritious substrate goes at the bottom. This layer is often "capped" by another layer that is chosen for a certain benefit: easy to plant in, soft for catfish, gives the tank the look you're gunning for, or another reason... I'd say maybe put the Eco Complete as your bottom growth layer and cap it with either Flourite or your gravel. Both should be easy to plant in. Other than that, I wouldn't know how to advise you. Honestly, if you just want to mix them all up I don't know a reason not to give it a go. Plants can grow in nearly any substrate.

Neither ecocomplete nor flourite have squat for nutrients. In fact, most "plant" substrates have very few nutrients in them beyond a smattering of micronutrients.

But the absorb nutrients right so if a stick a crap load of osmocote capsules in the substrate it'll absorb and hold the nutrients unlike regular gravel

Do y'all have any info on the osmocote capsule I just bought 50 of ten from h4n on plantedtank.net and if they work good ima try and make my own

There's quite a few threads on it already if you do a search for osmocote. Basically you want to get osmocote+ and you can freeze it in a small amount of water in an ice cube tray so that its easier to handle to put in the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom