Dirted Tank Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SheFloats4711

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Setting up a 10g low tech with dirt (plants only) - do I NEED to add plants upon filling it up? Can I just wait a few weeks? :huh:

You don't have to plant right away but honestly IMO it's better. The only time I've waited a week to plant after dirting is when I set up the 220g. The organic dirt I used leached terribly and I did a huge daily WC for 7 days then planted on the 8th.

You don't have to plant right away but honestly IMO it's better. The only time I've waited a week to plant after dirting is when I set up the 220g. The organic dirt I used leached terribly and I did a huge daily WC for 7 days then planted on the 8th.

Your 220 is beautiful.. and thank you - I just wanted to make sure it was not a vital biological step. Haven't seen too many people do it without throwing in a huge plant load.

Thank you! I would normally plant the next day after dirting but if I use a heavy leaching organic soil I want to do alot of big WC's so the tannins don't block out so much light.

What does IMO mean? Is Dirting worth the time and effort? What are the advantages? Does the dirt ever need to be changed? I talked to you a while back about dirting a tank with fish and water in it so I bought a 30xh so im at a cross road and this....

IMO+ in my opinion

I believe dirted tanks are worth it IF your planning on putting in alot of plants. If you wanted to do a low light tank then no it wouldn't be worth it. Many plants like a nutrient rich substrate and if you have good med high to high light and use CO2 or liquid carbon and good ferts you can grow just about anything. And dirt doesn't have to be replaced.

Ok sounds good I guess im gonna do dirt.
For dirting what's the ratio of how much dirt to how much eco-complete. Say I wanna do 3 inches all in all...

3" is alittle much for a 10g. I'd personally do 1" of dirt and 1 or 1-1/2" Eco. You only really need a 2" substrate but that extra 1/2" might help with planting.

3" is alittle much for a 10g. I'd personally do 1" of dirt and 1 or 1-1/2" Eco. You only really need a 2" substrate but that extra 1/2" might help with planting.

Im sry I stole the thread but I was talking about a 30xh

Most people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting soil/mix but I use Just Natural Organic Soil from Lowes. If you use this it will leach tannins like mad. After I dirted with it I did a 100% WC every day for 7 days to remove alot of the tannins. I planted on day 8 and ran Purgen in my filters. You can't plant the day after this stuff cause you won't be able to see the back of the tank, the tannins are that heavy.

Back
Top Bottom