Dirty plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashindle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I'm new to Aa and new to the hobby.. I've had my 55 gal low tech dirted tank set up for a couple of months now and have noticed my plans have a brown kinda film on the leaves.. Especially the older growth. Ive tried lightly rubbing it off with no luck. Any idea the cause or is that normal? I have two 48" 32 watt t8 bulbs that run for 10 hours/day with a 4 hour dark period in between. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image-1644704343.jpg
    image-1644704343.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2471597127.jpg
    image-2471597127.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3539231753.jpg
    image-3539231753.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 80
  • image-161505164.jpg
    image-161505164.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 73
brown algae forms on almost all new setups but it will go away on its own pretty soon. if you want to speed it up cut down your lighting to 6 hours a day until its gone

My guess is a combo of dirt from the substrate and algae from the nutrient overload in newly dirted tanks. My advice would be to get lots of duckweed, water sprite, and java moss. These plants don't look great but they absorb all of the extra nutrients. You don't have to have these plants permanently but just for a while to absorb excess stuff. Long term you are going to want to get a lot more plants too.

That's a relief thanks! Ill try shortening the lights

Yeah definitely shorten the light period too. Also, you can almost always find the plants I listed on aquabid for really cheap.

Ya thanks max I had an ick problem and stopped adding plants while treating the tank... But ya I really want to get the foreground planted

Yeah that'll look really good. Maybe some more big swords in the back too. Think that'd look great.

Thnaks! And thanks for the tip on aquabid. Checking it out right now

I'm not seeing diatoms you appear to have one or more nutrient deficiencies. What do you use for ferts?

Haven't used any ferts... Was thinking of picking up some root tabs for the sword

In a dirted tank there should be lots of nutrients. Maybe try API leaf zone. It's only potassium and iron. If you have a deficiency it is more than likely one of those.

Dirted tanks have nutrients but many are released in the early weeks after setup. Plus there aren't all the macro and micro nutrients needed. You have a few plants and what I usually suggest is the API Leaf Zone used in conjunction with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. Root tabs for the sword is a must even in dirted tanks and will help out a lot.

Thank you both so much for the advice! I cut the lights back a few hours. And plan on running out to the store to try the ferts you suggested. Is it ok to start fertilizing now... Or wait till the brow algae is cleared up? J appreciate the help as I'm new to the hobby and growing tired of making mistakes the hard way. Like the ich issue I just finished treating.. I now have a quarantine tank lol

Yes you can start ferts now and then go to dosing them after your WC.

Everyone has to start somewhere and everyone makes mistakes so your right up there with the rest of us!

Back
Top Bottom