Dirty Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talenzmeier

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings!

I have a 58 gallon planted tank that includes some Cabomba and Anacharis. I have noticed over the past several weeks that these plants seem particularly adept at capturing what seems like somewhat fine debris. I have Red Sea's Flora Life as a substrate so I don't know if that is contributing to the problem. Anyway these plants get covered with debris. My powerheads don't seem to be able to blow it off. What I end up doing is immersing my arm in the tank and more or less dust the plants. My question is how can I keep them clean? Also, with these two plants, how close together should I plant them? I have a feeling mine are too close to one another, thus contributing to the problem by creating dead plant debris.

Tank spec: RO Water, NO2 = 0, NH3 = 0, NH4 = 0, pH = 6.5, PO4 = 0
Fish: 8 Leopard Danios, 6 Neon Tetras, 4 White Clouds, 3 Gourami, 2 American Flag Fish, 4 Lyre Tail Swords, 4 Clown Loaches, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 German Blue Rams, 2 Pleco Temminicki
Invertebrates: 6 Algae Eating Shrimp
Filtration: Fluval 304
Lighting: Cora Life's Aqualight + the Oceanic FL

I'm wondering if the problem is actually an algae/diatom problem...

I have some floating something or another in my snail tank LOL The tank is clear of all algae, as the snails gobble it up, but since the plant is floating (and rarely touches the sides) the snails can't get to it. I've noticed it tends to be covered in what looks like diatoms (brown algae).

In my planted tank I also am having an algae prob, although the leaves which have algae are slow growers (unlike your plants). And the leaves look dusty/dirty. I can't WAIT to get the otos in there!!

bet its hydra. sounds just like my problem. soon to be solved. sorry i'm digging this from the depths, but its spot on my problem. let us know if you've still got it.

If it is Hydra, there are a bunch of good remedies to be found on the Krib website. Good luck, as its kind of hard to clear out they seemed to say, but can be done. I believe one solution was to use, Aquarisol, but can't remember the dosage and I might be mistaken. Nonetheless, quite a few choices regards elimination of hydra on the Kriib's website. HTH

Back
Top Bottom