Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30g bow fronted tank which is my second tank. At the moment the tank is empty and I am running a cycle for about two weeks. I have sand substrate external filter with carbon foam etc. I am looking at keeping discus in this tank as I feel it's something that I need to do as I completely love these and I understand it's a challenge. I am using 75% RO Water and 25% tap water for the extra minerals etc. What I am looking to do is just keep discus I am not really interested in breeding them at this stage and to be honest I don't think I ever will. I am looking for advise on the best things to do to keep discus. I would like a planted tank as it's more pleasing to the eye. Many say a bear tank is best but I was also told that is for breeding. Can anyone give me advise on the best conditions that the discus would be happy at and any tips on them. Cheers.

You need a shoal of 5 discus minimum and at least a 55g tank. I would get a bigger tank first.

Are you still cycling? Discus needs an established tank. Do you have soft or hard water? pH?

Edit: if you want a planted tank, I'll get rid of the carbon foam for it will absorb the nutrients, fertilizers that the plants need. What lighting do you have?

If you want a discus display tank and not a breeding tank then you need a much larger tank (I would recommend a 75).

Back
Top Bottom