Discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mijo51380

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about setting up a discus tank would a 55 gallon be good if so how many could I have.also from what I read they say that you should run carbon and po2 remover in you filters if these fish need trace elements and if I wanted plants wouldn't the carbon remove all ferts from the water

I had discus in my 55g for a bit. I had 3 and I had carbon in my filter's but my tank wasn't planted at that time. Since then I have switched to an angel live planted tank. I have removed the carbon from my filter's now cause it will take out the fert's.

I was thinking about setting up a discus tank would a 55 gallon be good if so how many could I have.also from what I read they say that you should run carbon and po2 remover in you filters if these fish need trace elements and if I wanted plants wouldn't the carbon remove all ferts from the water

I would do a school of 5 in a 55g tank. Also, no you don't need to addcarbon or phosphate removers in your tank. Carbon's ability to remove nutrients from the water is greatly overstated.

Ok is there anything I would need to keep these fish any info would be great

Every time I ask or look up these fish everyone has something different to say some say there easy others say it hard so what's so hard about these fish?

They need pristine water parameters and a very stable pH as well as a stress free environment. Some people find it hard while others don't have any issues.

I think a stable PH is more important, I got hard water , high PH and dirt on my tank, I got 4 Discus and they're doing fine. I do weekly water changes tho.

My pH stays stable at 6.7 my temp is about 77F and I do a 50 wc weekly any way and from what I read that close so would I need a RO system? My water is very hard

Another thing my aquarium is in my front room next to my couch so I can watch tv or the tank is loud noise be a problem and if these fish can see what's going on outside the tank will my dog freak them out as she like to watch the tank too

Use purigen instead. It's way better than carbon and won't remove your ferts.

Another thing my aquarium is in my front room next to my couch so I can watch tv or the tank is loud noise be a problem and if these fish can see what's going on outside the tank will my dog freak them out as she like to watch the tank too

Doesn't sound like the best place!
My temp is 84* and I don't have an RO this doesn't mean you might not needed.

It will be fine

If I was you I would buy my fish from a store that will give you some warranty like 7 days or more. Maybe this gay is write and they'll be ok. But if you don't try you'll never know.

I'm going to get them I just want to know a little more about them before I get them to give them a better chance

I had the three and my Ph was 8 and never had a problem. My only problems was trying to get them to eat once I brought them home. I did 2 water changes a week and kept my temp at 81.

If I was you I would buy my fish from a store that will give you some warranty like 7 days or more. Maybe this gay is write and they'll be ok. But if you don't try you'll never know.

"This gay"? The name calling is unnecessary

I'm going to get them I just want to know a little more about them before I get them to give them a better chance

That's a great plan, I wish more people did this. The thing that you have to realize is that a lot of people look at discus like some mythical creature that needs obscene amounts of water changes or whatever in order to keep alive when in reality; they are just fish. As long as you keep your parameters in line then they will do just fine.

Upss I just noticed the typo my bad I meant guy !!!! Again sorry

Btw just bought two new Leopard Discus from Petco. They give you 30 days on the fish and for me that is peace of mind. Most fish die in the first week after acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom