Discus fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simon_DG

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive been in the aquarium hobby for a couple of years now. And i would love to get into discus ive been thinking about it for a long time now. I have a 66 gallon planted tank with a extern filter where i have 2 angelfish ( 2 females i believe ) 2 baby briStelnose and 15 neons some octo fish to.. i would love to get some discus but becouse i never had them and theh are verry expensive around my place i am thinking of starting off with 2 just to see how things are.. inknow they need to be in groups of minimum 5 or more but is it bad for the fish to just start with 2 and if everythings works out i can get more.. ive heard they like to hang around with angels to but is it oke to just start with 2 for now ?

I would get as many discus at same time as possible .
They will pick on each other so larger groups distribute the beatings better . Most don't approve of angels with discus,,They say the angels are to fast for the discus to get their fair share of food besides possible aggression issues..
I would not keep discus angels but that is me ..
I only keep rams with my discus ..

Try to get a minimum size 4 inch discus. Less hassle in trying to grow them out. Get them all the same size to reduce aggression.

Two might work out if they get along or even pair up. Discus can be more aggressive than most people think they are.

I'd be more afraid for the angelfish than the discus if you mix the two. Discus can attack violently and they are very fast. They also get bigger than an Angel. There are people who keep them together but it depends on the temperament of the specific fish you have.

Tanks like that would be best with 5+ adult discus sourced from a local breeder. Angel's will stress them out during feedings. Big time

Tanks like that would be best with 5+ adult discus sourced from a local breeder. Angel's will stress them out during feedings. Big time
I got that 125g discus tank set up. Found that 10 was the magic number. Anything less and they fought like crazy. Way more aggressive than I thought they were.

And if i get a pair so male and female is it oke to have 2 then ? I did research and found proof that angelfish can live peacefully with them besides that they eat verry quick and saw somz tanks woth them together in it. My angelfish only nipped at each other for a verry short period to see who the alpha and beta is but now they dont hurt or atack no one in my tank i got these angelfish from the same lfs i want to get discus from the tanks of angels is even next to the discus one so they can see eachother and when i got mine 2 angels they where next to the discus tank

And if i get a pair so male and female is it oke to have 2 then ? I did research and found proof that angelfish can live peacefully with them besides that they eat verry quick and saw somz tanks woth them together in it. My angelfish only nipped at each other for a verry short period to see who the alpha and beta is but now they dont hurt or atack no one in my tank i got these angelfish from the same lfs i want to get discus from the tanks of angels is even next to the discus one so they can see eachother and when i got mine 2 angels they where next to the discus tank
Your tank, your $$, dont say we didnt warn you. Angel's beat up on my blue acara. My blue acara are like a wolf pack. Angel's just have a chip on their shoulder about not being as sharp as discus and act like petulant little school children in the milk and cookie line. A pair of discus will be fine. They eat very slowly and very particular, nip nip off the bottom. Very slow and very slowwwww. Pretty expensive fish to experiment with???

Back
Top Bottom