Discus With Angelfish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to know whether I can put angel fish with them. I wanted to know if the myth was true?

My Discus are nothing special i.e. not breeders or rare etc ... so would they be ok with the angel fish. The angel fish i would be adding are only small at the moment.

Please Advise.

I have been keeping Discus and Angels together for years. Just don't put them in a crowded tank. If they have enough room they will be fine together.

You will get a lot of advice that your angels wil harbour a disease that the Angels will tolerate but will kill discus. To me this is a dubios claim based on anecdotal evidence.

If any fish is sick it will pass it on and sometimes discus are more suseptible to disease. If all your fish are healthy then there should be no problem.

I kept Angels and Discus together. I was worried about the Angels being agressive but they left the discus to their own devices. YMMV but if you keep up your regular "discus" routine both types of fish should thrive.

There's a difference in what can be done, and what should be done. I feel it's a bit like playing Russian roulette. Yes, there are many people that have been somewhat successful in keeping the two together. The reality is that the two have different requirements to be kept in optimum condition.

The discus is such a great showcase fish on it's own. Why do people feel the need to mix them with angel fish?

i personally feel that they should not be kept together for the same reason that Brian wrote. very different conditions are needed to keep them happy and healthy for long years to come.

the best argument Ive heard is that angelfish are more agressive eaters and that would make you tend to overfeed to get your discus fed.. wich would lead to less then prestine water conditions, wich of course would be a poor starting off point for discus..

When my angels and discus were together both species fed vigourously. They got dauily 25 - 30 % Pwcs, were in a bare bottom tank but had a terracotta pot with an anubias lanceolata in it. The tank had no hearer but had an almost constant temperature of 30 deg C due to tropical weather. All fish I had, had no choice but to live at those temperatures, this included the neons and corys in the 20 gal tank.

I even had a pair of angels spawn in the tank, now I think that was actually after I had to get rid of the discus due to an impending move. I would have moved the breeding pair out had the discus been in the tank.

The angles got the Discus routine of feeding and PWC's and thrived. There are pics of the fish together somewhere.

*Edit. I forgot to say that the reason they Angels were added was because after a holiday I arrived back to find a couple of the fish dead. I had a case of flagellates break out while I was away. Having fixed the problem, the 3 remaining fish became shy and always stayed to the back of the tank. I added the angels for some company. It seemed to work because the discus were no longer shy and became very active.

Back
Top Bottom