Disintegrating hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello -- I've recently set up a repaired tank. Shortly after setting it up, I took cuttings from hornwort that is thriving in my 60 gallon tank and placed then in the new tank. I've done this twice about 10 days apart. Both times, the hornwort disintegrated within 2 days. Temperature and pH parameters are similar in both tanks. I added phosphorus, potassium, and nitrogen fertilizers to the tank in appropriate amounts the first time. Did a 50% water change before trying the second cuttings and did not add fertilizers. I'm at a total loss as to what's going on. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Keeping Hornwort

Hello -- I've recently set up a repaired tank. Shortly after setting it up, I took cuttings from hornwort that is thriving in my 60 gallon tank and placed then in the new tank. I've done this twice about 10 days apart. Both times, the hornwort disintegrated within 2 days. Temperature and pH parameters are similar in both tanks. I added phosphorus, potassium, and nitrogen fertilizers to the tank in appropriate amounts the first time. Did a 50% water change before trying the second cuttings and did not add fertilizers. I'm at a total loss as to what's going on. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hello Larry...

I've heard of Hornwort not growing well if it's planted in the bottom material. Since this is a floating plant and takes in nutrients through the leaves, it must be directly below the light source. I keep this plant directly under a four bulb fixture from the local hardware store. The bulbs I use are 32 watt, T8 and 6500K. The Hornwort gets the ferts the fish produce and grows nicely in a Goldfish tank.

B

Hi B -- On this, I must respectfully disagree. The hornwort that is in my 60 gallon tank is anchored to the substrate, under a 2-bulb t5 fixture and growing like, well like hornwort. In the tank in question, I left it floating the 2nd time under a 2-bulb 6500K fixture that's about 3" above the water surface. some of the plant that still appears to not have fallen apart yet has actually sunk! I'm flummoxed!

In my experience with hornwort it reacts to change by dropping needles. For me, any change. It should recover

I agree on the transition part; does not like sudden changes (have seen this with other plants like crypts). I’ve had it thrive well in an old, neglected tank and drop needles in a new tank like a Christmas tree in February.

Back
Top Bottom