disintegrating water sprite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was a little stunned today when I finally noticed that my water sprite is disintegrating. A couple of the leaves are developing holes and look really awful. I recently stirred up the flourite a little, so it looked like it was just dusty crud from that, but its not. There's holes in it!! :cry:

The info is:
55 gal, 1.5 wpg, no c02, dosing Flourish Seachem once a week with my pwc, have been using slightly less than recommended because I have Flourish tabs in the substrate too. Fish load is fairly light: 2 sailfin mollies, 1 BN plec, 6 zebra danios, 4 rummynose tetras, 1 amano shrimo, 2 mystery snails (I'm sure the snails are not to blame for this plant too). GH is 200, nitrate is just under 20, KH is 100mg/L, and I don't know the phosphate levels.

img_726901_0_4ab70b390656f959f008f6acecca2fb2.jpg

img_726901_1_a90674a53b65dbe9fd81e1057857171d.jpg

It is still sprouting out the occasional new healthy looking leaf and as you can see in the second pic, it is only a couple of the leaves that look like that. But I have 2 of the same plant and they both look the same.

Any advice out there?

?? the other leaves next to it look nice and heathy, in the top picture, only leads me to believe that something is eating it.

rich311k said:
Try adding some potassium and see what happens. Looks like a K problem to me.

Thought of that also, but with a K deficiency the leaf edges and tips are the first sign of a problem. When snails eat plants they usally attack at the center, as seen here. but I guess it doesn't hurt to add K just to be safe.

can I get a picture of the snail you have?

I'm not sure what would be eating it. My mystery snails seem to leave the plants alone and I have never noticed them chowing down on any of the plants at all. I know I got some hitchiker snails (pond snails I think) a while back, but they seem pretty under control. I very rarely see any and when I do I...um... extinguish them.

Maybe I will pick up some K and a K test kit too.

One of my snails is here in this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=89324
And here is the other one:
img_726927_0_f30a38a274d7d42c72da4349a82b5cfe.jpg

The pic is dark but he doesn't seem to feel like moving right now. Love how you can see the floating water sprite debris lol!

Definately pickup and start dosing the Potassium, but don't bother looking for a test kit. They don't make hobbiest grade test kits for Potassium and it's nearly impossible to overdose. You'll want to dose 10-20ppm after each water change, possibly more often if you plants are still showing a deficiency after a couple weeks.

Purrbox said:
Definately pickup and start dosing the Potassium, but don't bother looking for a test kit. They don't make hobbiest grade test kits for Potassium and it's nearly impossible to overdose.

I have seen test kits from Nutrafin... are they no good?

Must be new. I've never seen or heard about them before. May or may not be accurate, but you really don't need it reguardless.

The link you gave was for a Phosphate Test Kit. These are beneficial to have on hand. Hagen is reasonably accurate, but you'd be better off with one from Seachem.

Back
Top Bottom