Dissolving NPK in DI water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hroom88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday I added my NPK to 1 Litre of DI water according to the PPS-pro system. After about 8 hours I see white crystalline precipitate at the bottom of the bottle. I dont know which of the chems(K2SO4, KNO3 or KH2PO4) has not dissolved. Tried heating, shaking -does not work. What do I do now?

Did you dissolve all the nutrients in one bottle? How much water did you dissolve them in? Usually it's advisable to dissolve the nutrients in separate containers/bottles.

Did you wait overnight? If not, try giving it more time.
I deviated the procedure by adding the nitrate to a separate bottle (was suggested on this forum). Turns out that the nitrate level in my tank was already 10-20 ppm to begin with so that addition of the extra nitrate was not necessary.

The potassium nitrate is useful to have in a separate dosing bottle to make it easier to nail down specific nitrate levels.

Its no big deal if they are all in the same bottle. Sounds like you've mixed to the instructions. Just a very very good vigorous shake and leave overnight should be enough. I wouldnt worry about any excess in the bottom

If you followed the instructions, that's great, separating them out just gives you more control over each individual level. When I do PPS-Pro I usually have 3 bottles - one with KNO3 and K2SO4, one with CSM+B, the other with KH2PO4.

If you followed the instructions, that's great, separating them out just gives you more control over each individual level. When I do PPS-Pro I usually have 3 bottles - one with KNO3 and K2SO4, one with CSM+B, the other with KH2PO4.

Thats what would have been more convenient for me. But I did it according to the guide since I did not want to goof things up and regret later.
So this chalky stuff, do I shake it up and take the dosing amount and introduce it into the tank, since it has not yet dissolved?

BTW, why do you keep the kh2po4 separate, while keeping kno3 & k2so4 together?

Thats what would have been more convenient for me. But I did it according to the guide since I did not want to goof things up and regret later.
So this chalky stuff, do I shake it up and take the dosing amount and introduce it into the tank, since it has not yet dissolved?

BTW, why do you keep the kh2po4 separate, while keeping kno3 & k2so4 together?

I usually shake all the bottles out of habit prior to dosing.
I think he meant keep the KNO3 separate and the KH2PO4 and K2SO4 together.

Back
Top Bottom