ditching the glass top and airstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brothergc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was noticing that my finnex planted plus SE did not seem to be getting all that much light thru to my 20 gal long . did not seem right so I tryed it with out the glass cover and wow the tank is noticably brighter . One reason I kept a glass top is because the airstone would cause water to get on my light ( not good) So I am thinking do I realy need these ( airstone and top cover ? )
My fish I do not believe are realy what I would consider "jumpers" They are 5 Neons , 2 plattys, and a Beta .
opinions Here ? kinda like the reduction in noise not running a air pump and my 2 filters , Fluval C4s running on slowest setting is providing a gental flow , my plants gently swaying in the mild current

Bettas and platys have both been known to jump out of tanks. I'd keep *something* over the top. I'd clean the glass top really well to get all the dust and mineral deposits off, and see if that helps (I have to take a razor blade to mine periodically to scrape the crud off). Failing that, you can make a screen top for most tanks that will help keep the critters from suiciding.

You probably don't need the air stone, if you have ripples at the water surface with the flow from the filter.

The glass top on my 20-long was a pain to clean and was cutting into the light, so I replaced it with a screen top. BRS TV has a good video on how to do it:

not a bad idea , but I am not the "do it yourselfer kinda Guy " I would no dought get something wrong . Plus would not a screen block some light ? Just wondering :)

There some data done by Hoppy on the planted tank forum on par reduction values with screen, canopies ect. I run open tops for last 10yrs or so

There some data done by Hoppy on the planted tank forum on par reduction values with screen, canopies ect. I run open tops for last 10yrs or so

oh cool ! I am leaning in that direction just a open top . Problem with my glass cover is that it has a black strip to allow it to swing open , that strip blocks light no matter how clean it is . Another issue is the new finnen planted plus SE has a redesighned feet that sit higher then the old orignal planted plus . Thus less light . I could remove the feet but then I would have heat issues as these lights do generate some heat .
I have noticed that my plants are perking up more with the curent setup

Be smart and careful. Youll hear horror stories. Ive never had a light issue or fish loss20170223_104458.jpg

I take the hinges off my glass tops if they are right under the light. Then I can just lift off the front panel and set it aside when I need to stick hands in the tank, or set it down diagonally across the back piece when I need to feed or get a quick temp reading.

My 38G MarineLand bow front has LEDs that fit "hidden" under the canopy. There's a black plastic that runs from the front to the back that's built in. You clip the lights onto that. So I'm pretty sure my LEDs are waterproof.

Finnex mounting legs and glass tops don't always mix. The glass and the part of the mount that hugs the tank rim compete for the same space. I fixed this by gluing a strip of PVC (custom cut and painted) onto the tank rim:
8TayKxE.png

As for the shadow from the rubber strip, I ended up removing the rubber strip from the glass panes (be careful; not an easy task), cutting a pair of 2" sections from the strip, and used those as the hinges.
I don't have jumpers. I do enjoy not having to top off the tank.

As for the shadow from the rubber strip, I ended up removing the rubber strip from the glass panes (be careful; not an easy task), cutting a pair of 2" sections from the strip, and used those as the hinges.
I don't have jumpers. I do enjoy not having to top off the tank.
Ooh! Never occurred to me to cut down the hinge instead of doing entirely without. Gonna have to try that!

Ooh! Never occurred to me to cut down the hinge instead of doing entirely without. Gonna have to try that!

Here is the glass top with modified hinge. If these hinges ever wear out, I have about 26" of additional material to work with.
fRTPws0.jpg
Another pic of the glass top on the tank. Pulled forward a bit to show the hinges. Excuse the glare and dirty top
GY8ywmY.jpg
Like I mentioned, be careful. I broke one trying to remove the hinge. Running HOT water on the hinge might loosen its grip on the glass. That and a putty knife.

ok I have gone some time without the glass top and I do not see the need for it . The only downside is water evaporates a little faster . I have lost NO fish , the lighting is way better
just saying :)

ok I have gone some time without the glass top and I do not see the need for it . The only downside is water evaporates a little faster . I have lost NO fish , the lighting is way better
just saying :)

I go halfway, having made a "window screen" top with 1/4 inch netting. I get he best of both worlds: almost unobstructed lighting for my plants and a barrier against jumpers. (Though one Oto still found that one gap...)

Back
Top Bottom