DIY C02 - What is the largest size tank you can use it in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90 Gallon FW lightly planted tank with 3 Watts per Gallon lighting. I am having an awful Algae Bloom right now....which I am sure it due to the amount of light and no CO2 being added.

Plans for the tank is to be a fully planted...over time. I only have 8 plants in there so far.

I was wondering if I could get by with a DIY C02 Setup for a few months? Any recommendation on how many 2 liter bottles I should use? I aleady have a the $10 Hagen CO2 Diffuser.

Thanks

Steve Charles

I have a 90 Gallon FW lightly planted tank with 3 Watts per Gallon lighting.

You have to go pressurized, sorry to say. You would need far too many DIY set ups to get your co2 levels where they need to be for a 90 gallon. (I have a 90 as my main tank, no way I could do DIY).

I'm guessing you'd need 12 2 liter bottles going at all times, and they would have to be tied into 1 Hagen ladder per every 2 bottles. the amount of work required would be absurd, and you'd go through sugar very fast with 12 bottles going. To be honest, I think I was conservative saying 12.

Pressurized is not that hard to do, and after the initial hardware expense, is pretty durn cheap.

Yeah, I agree with CC.

I'd def. say go with a pressurized system. Amongst other things, it'll give you peace of mind about pH swings, esp if you get a pH regulator.

Algae will bloom like crazy if CO2 levels are low and light is high. Pretty much can't be avoided.

You can certainly try DIY, but you'll want the best diffuser/reactor...the hagen ladder will never give you decent, consistent CO2 levels in a 90 gallon with DIY. I've tried the ladder with pressurized CO2 on my 75 while I waited for my real reactor to ship. I had to pump nearly 3x the normal bubble rate to get up to 20ppm in the tank. Once I went to the gravel vac w/ powerhead type reactor, I had to crank the CO2 flow way down.

But I'd start saving for a milwaukee regulator, and a 10lb cylinder. YOu can build a DIY in-line reactor out of PVC for under $10. It'd go on your return hose from the filter.

High light + no CO2 injection + very few plants in a 90g= major algae blooms.

As mentioned, pres CO2 is the only way to go with that size tank.

Have you read Rex Griggs FAQ here on AA?

It can be done in tanks larger than 55 gallon, I know people that set up two, three, or four yeast generators in a large tank... but at that point it gets pretty ridiculous. I have better things to do than spend my whole life fiddling with yeast generators just to save $200 to initially set up a real system that can be easily regulated and pretty much left alone after set up.

I could'nt imagine using DIY CO2 on a 90g. You'd need ten or more 2 liters cherning 8O

Thanks for the help everyone!

I really don't have the $300 it will cost to set this up until after the holidays. I was hoping I could get away with a little DIY.

I am still having wicked Algae Bloom! I have kept the lights off in the tank for amost a week and I have been doing 20% water changes every other day...and feeding the fish every other day.

My plan is now:

1. Continue with my every other day 20% water changes
2. Borrow (hopefully) and diatomic filter and clear up the tank. If I can't borrow or rent...a $60 DE filter is much cheaper than a $300 CO2 setup for me right now
3. Only run 2 of the 4 x 65 watt CF bulbs until I have a pressurized CO2 setup
4. Keep my feedings to a minimum....I should probably do this anyway

Thanks for the help everyone...and for talking me out of what have could have been an exercise in frustration with a DIY C02 in a 90 Gallon.

I recently put together a pres CO2 system for about 150 bucks.

78$ JBJ regulator shipped to my door from Aquariumplant.com (still on sale,
they also have Milwalkee regs 15 bucks cheaper than the JBJ)
60$ used five pound CO2 bottle filled at local welding shop
15$ DIY PVC reactor (bought everything at Lowes)
5$ CO2 tubing
already had had timers lyeing around (used to turn CO2 on/off)
used lava rock instead of bioballs in reactor (already had them for the BBQ)
______

158$ Total

AP has a complete system for sale for 220$ (includes a ph controller ,minus tank). I skipped on the PH controller for now(useing a timer I already had, not as effective as a PH controller, but I did'nt want to spend the extra 70 bucks at the moment) and built a DIY reactor to save some coin. If your going to spend the money on a diatom filter. I personally would just pony up some more money and build the CO2 system. IMO CO2 is needed more than a diatom. Not that diatoms are'nt useful, its just that CO2, proper ferts, lights timed correctly etc.... would be more benifical to your planted tank right now. A diatom is just going to continuiosly clean up your improper set up. Why spend the money on a band aid, when you can correct the problem for good?

I know what ya mean about the holiday's coming up. Just an idea I wanted to throw at you. HTH

Has anyone tried using a larger than 2 litre bottle for a DIY setup?. I saw some 3 gal and 5 gal bottles at home depot for a water dispenser. They have screw type lids. You could plumb 2 lines out of it to your tank. 3 gallons of solution should produce a fair volume of co2. Maybe I will try one on my 125 when I get more lighting. :lol:

Has any one tried using a 3 or 5 gallon sparkletts type bottle for DIY co2? Yoy can get the bottles with screw lids at Home Depot. You could run 2 larger lines off of it to 2 powerhead type reactors. Maybe I will try one on my 125 when I get more lighting. :lol:

A single 2 liter requires 2 cups sugar. A 5g water despenser is aprox 18.9 liters. Therefore you would need 19 cups of sugar for the 5g 8O Thats some serious mixing. I wonder how long it would last and how relaible it would be though?

Back
Top Bottom