diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so today I decided to make a DIY co2, with yeast, sugar and all that. I have the tubing attached with an air stone that's attached to the filter intake, so the bubbles are going in through the intake and then out. I just wanted to see if I'm doing everything right and what I should be looking out for.

What kind of airstone?

EDIT: Also, from everything I've read you'll want to do more to diffuse it. Especially since it's DIY and what little CO2 is created is more precious. I do NOT have direct experience w/ this though.

Just a regular blue round air stone

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110615_163958.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110615_163958.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 94
Google it, you will find countless ideas for setups and reactors. You should have bubble coming out of the airstone.

Am I doing everything right tho? Its making bubbles and the fish are a okay!

Sounds like you got it working. Check your PH now and in 24 hours for an indication of how you are doing with levels.

Alrighty! Just to be sure I should run a bubble wand at night right?

I'm pretty sure the blue airstone will break down and/or clog. At least that's what people have said previously.

I've heard that too, some people use glass ones? But mines fine. It looks fine to me

Just use it as you have it and check how the plants do. After a few days try the de-gassing method to see if you have enough. Take water sample out, measure ph. Leave sample uncovered for 24 HR and measure ph again. Each .5 diff in ph means 15ppm CO2.

I'm doing diy co2 on a 55g and I've had to add a second bottle. May go to pressurized system soon.

I measured my Ph it went down to 7.0. It used to be at 7.5. Is that okay?

I've heard that too, some people use glass ones? But mines fine. It looks fine to me

Cool, let us know if something happens to it. I mean, there's no reason for you to stop using it now that it's already going imo. But if something does happen, we can more confidently say to use something else! :)

Okay thanks guys:) and the bubble stone caught my attention, it seems to be dissolving? o_O

Yes, that would mean it's working. Keep an eye on it and see how your plants do. The recommendation I've seen is for 30ppm, at that point though, you'll have to be sure you have the right lights, photo period and a dosing regimen.

Others here are better at this than I am. I'm just about 4 months ahead of you. My plants started growing a lot and I've started noticing nutrient deficiencies, so I've ordered ferts an I'm starting a dosing regimen.

I'm also running DIY CO2 on my 10 gallon. Finally seem to have most of the kinks worked out(plants are constantly pearling).
The best way I've found to monitor the CO2 levels is with a drop checker. Easy visual reading for your CO2 levels. The pH will give you an idea of if it's working or not, but the charts that you use for it(as I have discovered) aren't always the most accurate for every tank(they say that my CO2 is over 100ppm, when the drop checker says its at 30).
Keep us all posted on how you make out.

Everything seems to be working fine so far:) I know that your fish are your number indicator if somethings wrong, like if they're up gasping for air could mean to much co2. But my fish are swimming happily :)

Back
Top Bottom