DIY Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper92

Aquarium Advice Freak
How safe are home made Co2 systems, i just set mine up and they are of course slow to start up, but im not sure how healthy it is for my tank. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance

From what I read, it seems as long as you can keep the co2 flow to a consistent rate it should be safe. The only issue would probably be a Ph crash from too much co2 into a tank.

Well i'm going to have the Co2 run during the day and an airator during the night with the Co2. Try to have more balance. I'll test the water tomorrow morning to see how my PH is doing.

The actual co2 from DIY is as safe as regulated.

I used DIY for over a year and learned a lot, much of it the hard way :)

Be sure to use a check valve and a second container as a gas seperater to keep the gunk generated by the yeast mixture out of your tank.

The lower ph readings found after adding co2 are usually well tolerated by fish and usually not a cause for alarm as would be found with other types of additives.

A+ for the extra aeration. Definately make sure you have adequate circulation when the lights are on too.

Thanks for the help. I keep the airator next to the filter to help push the oxygen around. I plan on watching out for this "gunk" around my tank and doing a slightly larger water change to keep my water a tad cleaner.

IMO you really should have the gas exchanger and check valve, as the gunk can contain alcohol which is what is produced as the yeast ferments and creates CO2.

Fish can't tolerate alcohol, that's why their owners come to AA :)

Well so far i have no gunk in my tank. Im keeping a check on that. My tubing doesnt sit in the mixture right now either.

I honestly feel that these arent safe for my tank. My fish all seem fine but if i wake up to dead fish i'll be devistated all my platy females are pregnant and would hate to lose all that due to some over amounts of Co2. From what i've read they seem safe and work well.

Yep that bad luck bit me in the butt this morning. Almost had a huge disaster in the 10 gallon. Crisis averted though.

Last night it was producing just Co2. I guess early this morning it leaked a little and the process started taking place in my tank. I took everything out cleaned it did a massive water change and cleaned down the tank. Hopefully there wont be another outbreak. Im keeping the Yeast bomb out of my tank for now.

I have two DIY bottles running in my 36 gallon and even run em at night and my fish are okay. Maybe I'm just lucky.

i plan on doing diy co2....would using a hagen mini eliet to difuse be ok?
Also running co2 during the day and turning it off and turnin my bubble wand at night be ok?
Ive been reding that the pH can be out of wack if i do it this way. fact or fiction?

I did Co2 during day and airator at night and my PH stayed around the same. Im not sure if its fact or ficition but i would do what your planning just in case.

I have been running DIY for the past 9 months or so and can't see that it has caused any problems in my BioCUBE 14
I don't run an air pump or have water surface agitation
Any external (other than CO2 injection and plant respiration) gas is a result of the water trickling over the bioballs
When I have just recharged the system I set it in the floor under the window in the winter or near the AC in the summer to slow CO2 production and when production starts to slow up on it's own I move the bottle into warmer areas close to the tank
I only fill my bottle about 3/4 full and the top of the bottle is usually 2' below the surface of the tank water so I have never had a problem with foam getting into the tank
I have a check valve just above the tank water surface to be sure I don't aspirate ant tank water into the generator

Do ya think the fluval underwater fliter would work as a diffuser if the elite wasnt cutting it? Or do you think the elite mini would work fine for my 36g?

Back
Top Bottom