DIY Co2, again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can not, for my life find the remedy for the DIY CO2? I searched the forums but couldn't find it :rolleyes:
also, I was just wondering if you could use baking soda and vinegar instead of sugar and yeast? just curiosity :)
Thanks

I don't think that baking soda and vinegar would work. First off, I'm not sure what the chemical reaction is, but does it even make CO2? Secondly, even if it did make CO2, it would only create a spike and not a steady supply like the yeast would produce.

yes baking soda and vinegar would make the CO2 chemical reaction... but thanks I didnt think of the fact that it would probably only create a small bit not a constant flow...

I never had a recipe. I simply pour about 1 cup of sugar, 4 cup of water and about 1 spoon of yeast.

1 spoonful of yeast (about 1 tablespoon) is way too much.....you are wasting it. :) Water measurement doesn't matter....just fill up the bottle until the narrowing of the bottle. 1/4 to 1/2tsp of yeast is plenty. I'd go with 1.5 to 2 cups of sugar.

Excellent!

One trick I've found is putting in some hot water with the sugar to dissolve it better and shake it after you put the water in. Then, put in some cool water (remember you want it to be lukewarm in the end) and then put in the yeast and shake again. That usually helps mine atleast. :)

Excellent!

One trick I've found is putting in some hot water with the sugar to dissolve it better and shake it after you put the water in. Then, put in some cool water (remember you want it to be lukewarm in the end) and then put in the yeast and shake again. That usually helps mine atleast. :)
awesome! thanks a ton. How do you diffuse yours? I have mine up through a maxi-jet but it kinda is unsightly... should I just get some stem plants to cover it up?

Depends on the tank size. :) For my smaller tanks i diffuse it through a limewood airstone, but when I had DIY on my larger tanks, I used powerheads. I still use a powerhead to diffuse pressurized in my 29g.

And yeah, it sticks out, but just put some stems around it. I have some Bacopa growing around mine......need to trim and place more though because I can still see the powerhead. :D

Here's the formula I use:
In each 2-liter bottle; 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1tbsp Molasses, 1/4 cup protein drink mix (like muscle blast), 1.5 liters water, 1/4 tsp Yeast.

Rehydrate the yeast in a separate cup with 1 tsp sugar for an hour before adding it to the main mix. Use tepid water (not warm or cold). Add the yeast and let the mix sit open over night before use. Mix at every opportunity.

This mix will easily last 4 weeks or more.

I use one of these glass Co2 diffuser we find on ebay. They don't do a better job.... they are just nicer.

The best way ever (according to me) is to plug your Co2 to the intake of a canister filter. You waist nothing this way.

Back
Top Bottom