DIY CO2 bottles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering about the bottles used in DIY CO2. I have some empty bottled water bottles ready to make my yeast mixture in. I also have some of the Hagen containers on my other two tanks. The Hagen containers are dark gray - no light gets in. The water bottles would let light in to the yeast mixture. Does this matter? I know a lot of you guys use the water or pop bottles for your mixtures. Do you wrap anything around the bottles? I did some searching and I can't find anything that says the yeast must be kept in the dark.

Hi there,

I have never had my bottle in sunlight, however in summer when its hotter the co2 production is a lot faster, one bottle in summer will not last longer than 1.5 weeks for me, in winter i get about 2.5 weeks out of one bottle. (2L bottle)

So im guessing if it is hotter or exposed to sunlight it will produce co2 at a much faster rate.

My suggestion is to try it uncovered and covered and see if there is any difference.

Post the result if u can, it will be interesting too see the outcome and also become a guide for others

cheers

Can't help you with the light vs. dark, but my bottles fit nicely under my stand. I'm almost certain yeast does better in the dark.

"So im guessing if it is hotter or exposed to sunlight it will produce co2 at a much faster rate." - yep warmer = faster CO2 production, and faster burnout of the mixture.

when I brewed beer and mead, you were always supposed to keep it in a dark area, so I used a closet or a room with no sunlight.
i think that had more to do with light oxidation of the ingredients, creating off flavors.

If it concerns you, just wrap duct tape around the bottles to block sunlight :)

somthing else that i have seen people do is keep the bottles in a bucket of water with a heater keeping then at a constant temp. this will help regualte the production and keep it constant aswell as keeping it out of the light. i keep mine sitting nect to my tank. no direct light but some gets to it i am sure and my bottle usually last around 3 weeks continuosly. but my hagen bottle always lasted like 4 almost 5 weeks sometimes... i guess they use super yeast lol

I know a few people that use those really rugged 2L-3L plastic bottles that cranberry juice comes in....some have wrapped them in black plastic to keep the light out.

On my 30gal, I use (2) 1 gallon plastic Hawaiian Punch containers and 2 liter soda bottles on smaller tanks. The important thing is to have a sturdy bottle with a screw-on cap that provides a tight seal.

Back
Top Bottom