diy Co2 in 2-liter bottle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a few set up previously and they died out after about 2 weeks. Im looking for more longevity it the c02.

Im curious about some people recipes.

Thanks

My understanding is that you have to manually start the citric acid system daily, is that correct? If so that seems like a lot of work.
Tinkering with the amount of yeast used can make co2 production last longer in lower intensities. Less yeast= longer production.

I tried the citric acid thing and the yeast and personally I prefer the yeast. I just couldn't get the citric acid to be consistent.

You can try using different types and combinations of sugar yeast and vary the amounts. But really dealing with it isn't that hard just change it out with a weekly water changes. And if you want there are always uses for the byproduct the yeast produces

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

When I did DIY CO2, I used two 2 liter bottles and each week I was mix up a new batch. I would get about 2 weeks per batch. After about a year i switched to a pressurized system.
Citrix acid based systems sound interesting because:
• You can adjust the output
• You can turn it on/off
• CO2 is generated immediately
If I setup another DIY CO2 system, I will probably use Citric acid.
According to the link, 1 bps at 8 hours a day should last 30 days. That's reasonable.
IMO I would periodically change out the plastic two liter bottles of using a ceramic diffuser (because of the pressure required to operate them).

Edit: Even though I used a decent sized bubble counter/yeast catcher, with the DIY CO2 yeast system, some yeast did make its way to the display tank.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I did DIY CO2, I used two 2 liter bottles and each week I was mix up a new batch. I would get about 2 weeks per batch. After about a year i switched to a pressurized system.
Citrix acid based systems sound interesting because:
• You can adjust the output
• You can turn it on/off
• CO2 is generated immediately
If I setup another DIY CO2 system, I will probably use Citric acid.
According to the link, 1 bps at 8 hours a day should last 30 days. That's reasonable.
IMO I would periodically change out the plastic two liter bottles of using a ceramic diffuser (because of the pressure required to operate them).

Edit: Even though I used a decent sized bubble counter/yeast catcher, with the DIY CO2 yeast system, some yeast did make its way to the display tank.

2 questions, does the citric acid drip need to be turned on daily?

Second question, even though I know you know what your doing, did the yeast trap utilize the input tube deep in the bottle with the output tube at least 2" above water level? That's how mine is and unless yeast can levitate I can't see how even under pressure any could reach the tank.

Yes, citric acid needs to be opened/closed daily. I have read about connecting a solenoid valve to this system and controlled with a timer.
The yeast catcher container was a 1 liter bottle that was never filled more than 1/3-1/2. Is it possible for yeast to become airborne (aerosol) when the bubbles pop? I even tried filling it with a super saturated salt solution to kill off any stray yeast cells. This did not seem to help though. I never saw haziness in the display tank. I used no diffuser; line was fed into the intake of an HOB filter. Over time a "blob" would form at the end of the tubing supplying the CO2.

Last edited:
Yes, citric acid needs to be opened/closed daily. I have read about connecting a solenoid valve to this system and controlled with a timer.
The yeast catcher container was a 1 liter bottle that was never filled more than 1/3-1/2. Is it possible for yeast to become airborne (aerosol) when the bubbles pop? I even tried filling it with a super saturated salt solution to kill off any stray yeast cells. This did not seem to help though. I never saw haziness in the display tank. I used no diffuser; line was fed into the intake of an HOB filter. Over time a "blob" would form at the end of the tubing supplying the CO2.

Thanks for the info. I only ask since im running the yeast setup, so far no troubles but I'll be keeping a closer eye now.

Yes, airborne yeast spores are everywhere all the time. I get the "blob" at the end of the tubing too, I wonder what it is exactly. It seems unlikely to me that yeast would buildup only at the end of the tubing. I would guess it is something, possibly just mineral buildup, or a byproduct such as enzymes perhaps (just a guess, no idea of the volatility of enzymes), that is entering the vapor and traveling up the tubing, and a precipitate is formed when the vapor condenses.

Back
Top Bottom