DIY Co2. Is it worth the effort?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g FW that I just finished up planting my first few plants in. Currently, I am running 1.75wpg (6500k) over the tank. I can, if I choose, jump it to 2.3wpg. Most of the plants I am anticipating placing in the tank will be low light with some (maybe 1/3) being med-low light.

Currently, I am unable to part with the cash necessary for a Co2 injection system. Thus, I was thinking of doing a DIY until such time I can afford it. Would the benefits be worth the effort? I dont mind doing the work, if I will be able to see the benefits. If the growth after adding Co2 isnt all that noticeable, I cant see adding it.

What do you think? Is it worth it? Will I see the benefits?

Attachments

• tank_05_197.jpg
    tank_05_197.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 47
you will definitely see a difference in growth with the addition of co2. you will also need to dose ferts if you plan on doing this, if you're not already. it's certainly not necessary with your lighting, and unless you particularly want your plants to grow so fast you have to trim them every week (ie. wisteria), may in fact be undesirable. i have recently removed diy co2 from my 1wpg 50gal tank for this very reason. all the plants i have will grow fine without co2, and are a pain to trim with. up to you.

I was thinking that might not be a bad way to go. Use the Co2 to get the plants up to par and then back it off to none. Is there anything wrong with doing this? Any pitfalls to watch for?

my tank hasn't suffered any from doing this. i originally added the co2 to combat staghorn algae that was forming, and that plus SAEs cleared it up completely. since removing the co2, i haven't had any algae re-appear. in fact, my tank is the best it's ever been. perhaps using the co2 to kick-start plant growth and get the tank established is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom