DIY CO2 not enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok- so I've been fighting BBA for far longer than I believe I should have. Been using my DIY CO2 set-up with a Hagen ladder-type CO2 diffuser. Been able to keep the bubbles at right at 2bps. Bubbles start large and are very small by the time they reach the top of the ladder.

Even double-dosing daily with Flourish Excel only seems to slow the spread of the BBA. Would prefer not to do the H2O2 treatment (but will if it comes down to it).

But back to my DIY CO2... I have a RedSea CO2 indicator that wen from blue when first put in to being blue with a very slight greenish tint to it... So my assumption is that the tank isn't getting enough CO2.

I have seen some FIY serums with multiple bottles set up in a series to get more CO2 output. I cannot imagine getting much more diffusion w/the ladder diffuser- so I would need to look at a different method of diffusing?

Ugh

29g
Heavily planted
2 T5 HO (1 6700K, 1 10000k)

I had 3 2 liter bottles on my 29 and found it very hard to maintain a steady high enough CO2 level. Bouncing levels do not help either and every time you change a bottle the levels will fluctuate. You might want to do a couple of bottles in series, each with their own back flow valve. Stagger the start for each a week part. With the check valves on each one the system will stay pressurized as you change the mix in one. Helps keep every thing more stable.

That's kind o what I was thinking- add a "t", and an additional bottle with another check-valve.

Connected a 2nd bottle and now have more bubbles. CO2 indicator is more "green" thus morning.

Must be working. CO2 indicator shows green, but even more encouraging- plants are pearling!!!!!

mfdrookie516 said:
Get it up to a lime green... that's the sweet spot. Mine stays almost yellow.

Considering it was blue with a faint green yesterday:

mfdrookie516 said:
Get it up to a lime green... that's the sweet spot. Mine stays almost yellow.

Considering it was blue with a faint greenish tint yesterday- here it is today:

Looking good. Keep changing one of the mixes every ten - fourteen days and you should be able to keep it that way.

Back
Top Bottom