DIY CO2 or Excel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How does everyone diffuse their DIY CO2? I have watched many a YouTube videos on it. I have HOB filters on my tanks and I worry that that will cause the CO2 to escape too fast.

Predfan27 said:
How does everyone diffuse their DIY CO2? I have watched many a YouTube videos on it. I have HOB filters on my tanks and I worry that that will cause the CO2 to escape too fast.

I have a HOB too, and I found a ceramic /glass diffuser on eBay that would work with DIY. My drop checker was a pretty consistent green until I slacked off swapping my solutions when I knew I was switching to a pressurized system.

That's great. I just recently ordered 3 glass diffusers and one drop checker. Figured I'd check the drop checker out before spending 14 bucks a piece haha.

Ok...stupid question again...where is the best place to put the diffuser? Beside to hob filter?

hcourts said:
Ok...stupid question again...where is the best place to put the diffuser? Beside to hob filter?

In my research I found that below the filter intake works best? But I could be waaaay wrong since I'm still learning!

So that would distribute the co2 throughout the water column better?? It makes sense but wouldn't a lot of it get washed out so to speak?

hcourts said:
So that would distribute the co2 throughout the water column better?? It makes sense but wouldn't a lot of it get washed out so to speak?

Yeah, I have my reservations about it. Perhaps we should let someone with experience chime in!

I hope someone does as having to deal with gases and particle distributions I do I have my doubts;)

I run DIY co2 on my 25g planted. One 2.5 liter bottle. I use one and half cup of white sugar and half cup of brown sugar, one teaspoon of baking yeast. (heard somewhere that wine yeast works better, never tried it myself). CO2 line is connected to carnister filter water inlet. That gives almost 100% dissolved co2.
Sugar/yeast solution have to be changed every two weeks. If anyone has recipe for sugar/yeast mix that last longer than please share it.
I never had ph swings, especially with my water being on a hard side. I almost always disconect co2 line for night and then connect it in the morning so maybe that's why there are no ph swings.
Anyway, I think DIY co2 is great, especially if you are on a budget. You just have to be consistent changing sugar/yeast mix and everything will work just great.
Good luck with it. It looks like you are on a good way!!

When you disconnect it, do you see a dropout of pressure? Aka, does it take awhile for the CO2 to force its way back into the water. I wish I had a canister filter to run it in line with :(

Predfan27 said:
When you disconnect it, do you see a dropout of pressure? Aka, does it take awhile for the CO2 to force its way back into the water. I wish I had a canister filter to run it in line with :(

It takes couple of minutes to push water out
I connect it at least 2 hours before lights go on, this way I make sure there is enough dissolved co2 in the water for plants to start photosynthesis as soon as lights go on.

Well, I used to unscrew bottle cap, not completely, just a crack. Now, I disconnect co2 line at a check valve. Just make sure your when you disconnect your lines are higher than aquarium water level so it doesn't drain your water.
I usually don't shake it to build the pressure, just connect it couple hours before the lights come on.

Sounds like a great idea! What would happen if you disconnected from the check valve on the CO2 Generator side?

I don't think anything would happen if you do that. It is actually better to disconnect from the check valve on a co2 generator side. This way aquarium water will never drain

Ice Man said:
I don't think anything would happen if you do that. It is actually better to disconnect from the check valve on a co2 generator side. This way aquarium water will never drain

That's wha I figured. But my lack of experience in the subject made me a little hesitant to presume.

Back
Top Bottom