DIY CO2 or Excel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some tanks that I am setting up to be heavily planted. The plants themselves are relatively low light, but my lights are high with extra light from the windows. I was looking into DIY CO2 but noticed that Excel can function as an alternative. Any thoughts?

Personally, I started off with excel, and didn't lose anything, but it wasn't that impressive. Then I started a DIY system to see what difference co2 would make before I invested in a pressurized system, and BOOM did my swords and dwarf sag take off. Needless to say I'm in the process of upgrading.

When you figure a 500ml bottle of excel runs around $15, and a 10# bag of sugar and a bottle of yeast runs about the same but will last longer, DIY can be a lot moe economical as well.

I see...

I am doing 3 smaller tanks (29 and two 10s) and I wasn't sure about it. Looks like I'll be doing more homework on DIY now! Thanks!

Do you have a good link for step by step instructions on the DIY set up?? Something that any will understand???

Last edited by a moderator:
Pressurized CO2 > DIY CO2 >> Excel >> No carbon supplements

Expect an appropriate DIY CO2 rig to be twice (or three times) as effective as Excel. It can be a pain to get setup sometimes (leaks are sneaky), but generally once set up it's easy to maintain.

Thanks super blueberry:) that is the best instructional vid I have seen yet:) I'm gonna give it a go:)

I have some tanks that I am setting up to be heavily planted. The plants themselves are relatively low light, but my lights are high with extra light from the windows. I was looking into DIY CO2 but noticed that Excel can function as an alternative. Any thoughts?
My 2 cents is that if you can get it to work, DIY CO2 is always better. I had one for a little while, never worked. It's impossible to adjust the bubble count, and leaks are really frickin hard to find. I trashed it after a week, because the bubble count was so low. THEN I saved up and bought a paintball CO2 system, and I'm still struggling with it. If you were looking at less problems with your CO2 system, I would just save up a while and get a full regulator and everything, because there is more knowledge about those systems than the others. Another thing about DIY Co2 systems, you have to change the mixture weekly. Just a thought.

If your worried about cost, go for the DIY, and good luck go with ya.
If you hate hassles, go for the whole regulator set up.
If you only have a little money but still want pressurized, go for paintball CO2.

Hope I helped, and good luck!

I just thought I would clarify that if you use the right mixture in a DIY setup, it can last for up to a month, so it does not need to be changed weekly.

Question for you DIY CO2 experts, I have two 10g and a 29g that I want to CO2. As far as my set up goes, I have two 1.5 liter bottles for yeast for the 29, and two 1 liter bottles for yeast for each 10. Is that over kill on the 10?

Predfan27 said:
Excellent, I figured the bigger the more consistent I can get the CO2 production.

Thank you very much.

Multiple bottles help for consistency. If you have 2 bottles and change one as your bubbles start to slow, swap the older one.

One more question! I know that people run air stones in their aquarium at night to alleviate pH swings. Is it possible to just unhook at the check valve instead?

Predfan27 said:
One more question! I know that people run air stones in their aquarium at night to alleviate pH swings. Is it possible to just unhook at the check valve instead?

I don't see why not, that is if you don't mind the ethanol smell. You also lose all the pressure you built up in the reactors. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Super_Blueberry said:
I don't see why not, that is if you don't mind the ethanol smell. You also lose all the pressure you built up in the reactors. I wouldn't recommend it though.

So best thing to do for DIY CO2 is run an air stone at night?

aqua_chem said:
The pH swings are almost entirely a non-issue with DIY CO2. Don't worry about it.

That's great news. I was running out of outlet space for the air stones! I just worried for the two 10g really.

aqua_chem said:
The pH swings are almost entirely a non-issue with DIY CO2. Don't worry about it.

Agree, don't worry about the famous "ph swing", with the CO2 the ph will drop but the fish will be fine. You will observe the ph increase after the water changes, but nothing to worry.

My tap is a ph of 8.2 and with the co2 my tank drops to 6.4. Almost a 2 point swing, and my fish don't seem to mind it at all.

Back
Top Bottom