DIY CO2 Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a good recipe but I forgot it.I have been running around on the web to find a good one but I wanna find one that is very good and someone here has experience with it.The set-up I have is 2 1 liter bottles connected with a T thingy and connected into a bubble ladder.

1st - there is no "best formula" Everyone has different yeast and different water. The basic, basic recipe for a 2L bottle is 2 cups sugar, and 1/4 tsp yeast, and enough water to fill the bottle "mostly" full. This recipe has worked fine for me.

This formula is from Zezmo. Best one I have tried yet. You will probably have to try and experiment with a few different formulas to find the best one for your situation as hashbaz said...

2 cups sugar, 1tsp baking soda, 1tbs Molasses, 1 scoop protein drink powder, 1/4 tsp champaign yeast

Watch your ph! This formula went nuts for me.

Mine is even simpler and works very well. I get output for about 3-4 weeks from each bottle.

-3/4 cup sugar (Granulated white cane sugar.)
-2 tbs corn syrup (This seemed to help my output greatly. Without it my CO2 production would drop after 1 week.)
-1/2 tsp baking soda (Optional. Especially if you have very hard water already.)
-1/4 tsp Fleischman's active yeast
-Enough water to fill bottle 3/4 full. I just stop when water level gets to the point where the bottle starts to curve to the opening.

As ringfinder and hashbaz said there is no one best formula and you should try a little of each and see what works best for you!

All theses sound fine. The basic recipe is 1cup of sugar for every liter the container holds.

champaign yeast might go a little too fast, as ringfinger suggests, but it works.

Cheapest yeast would be the little jars of it, which do have to be refrigerated after opening, but once you open those foil packets, you have to do the same thing or the yeast will be toast in 3-4 weeks, so it's cheaper to go with the jar.

Me, i pour 3 inches of sugar in the bottom of a 2 liter pop bottle, a bit of arm and hammer baking soda, and a bunch of yeast. I use a one way valve so i put luke warm water in, and it pressurizes in about 15 minutes. (the warm water really kick-starts, but you have to make sure you dont suck tank water back when it cools!)

So I have made my own recipe that I intend to try.2 cups of sugar, 2 tbs of corn syrup, 6 cups of water, 1/4 tps of yeast, 1/2 tsp of baking soda.Will this work?Also will using de-chlor in the water kill the yeast?

I don't think the de-chlor is needed-I'm running a bottle now with straight tap water I know has a ton of chlorine.

I have it reccomended NOT to use tank water tho.... not sure why.

I never used declor, just straight tap water. I am not sure corn syrup will make much diference over sugar. I used Mollases for the trace elelemts in it, not the sugar. Read abit about home brewing to learn more about yeast and its needs.

I don't think the Champaign yeast is needed...though at the end I used it. That yeast, is slower to start, but after a week produces more and lasts longer than regular yeast. As I mentioned in another post I got 8 weeks out of my "last" bottle before I went to pressurized. Finally... one of the main things...it to get as much water as possible in there... more water will let your solution go longer before it kills itself.

My exact formula is in my profile ;-)

I tried the recipe that I have earlier except I used water directly from the tap that was warm filled untill the bottle started to slope up and there is not CO2 producing.There is no leak in CO2,its just the yeast isn't producing it.I don't think the yeast is dead because I just bought it this sunday and kept it in the refridgerator.I use the brand of yeast tha is called Fleischmas or something like that.Could it be the sugar?Because I just started using regular sugar from safeway(generic brand) and before I used safeway brand brown sugar.

azn_fishy, you may not have a good seal. I thought I was having problems at first until I realized that my glue job wasn't very airtight. The other possibility is that you used hot water instead of warm water. Hot water will kill yeast.

I ran out of white sugar but I have a gallon jug of corn syrup that's been under the sink for months now. I put 3/4c in a 2L bottle for my 20G, and 1/3c in a 733mL bottle for my 10G. Let's see how they do for the next little while.

I've also seen alternate recipes, such as using sugar suspended in gelatin and allowed to set, and then topping off with yeast and water. Apparantly, the yeast eat their way down, and apparantly, if you add food colouring to the gelatin, it'll actually serve as a time indicator as to how much life the bottle has left in it. It sounded complex, but that's going to be the next step.

I know there is no leak because I doubled the silicone sealing before I made my previous post and still no CO2 coming out of the tubing.I also checked the tubing for any leaks,none.I checked the bottle and the yeast is not producing any CO2.When I would look before I would see bubbles of CO2 rising to the surface of the bottle but here,no CO2 bubbles.I read an article about DIY CO2 and it said the yeast might take to 30 min. to a few days to start producing CO2 so I'll wait awhile.

You should allow the yeast to come to room temperature, before you reconstitute it. Straight out of the fridge can reduce performance. Warm water (warm to the touch) may be too warm. Use tepid - not warm or cold to the touch.
If you manage to kill most of your yeast, but a little bit survives... then It may even take a day or two to get going. You should not close your bottle until you see CO2 bubble. Yeast uses air (Oxygen) in its first stages, before converting to anaerobic growth.

Back
Top Bottom