DIY CO2: Replacing Sugar with Powdered Sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ianeberle said:
Not yet... Maybe it needs to build up pressure again? I have the bottles sitting on the floor about 2 feet or so below the tank. Could that affect anything?

Im not sure on that, possibly. Maybe the length of the air line is hindering the gas? What type of air line are you using?

Yes. You definitely want a check valve if it is below the tank.

I have had ceramic glass diffusers from china not work before as well. It is possible that with DIY you just can't get enough pressure to make it work. When I ran DIY I always used a bubble ladder or co2 bell.

I don't know if you can see this or not, but there's 2 inches of water in the line above the air stone.

Would a check valve fix this?

ForumRunner_20121027_221113.jpg

I'm using silicone tubing. I just installed a check valve and it's not sucking water in, but still no bubbles.

I assume since it is a DIY your probably using a 2 liter bottle or something similar? If so try squeezing the bottle to see if anythinfg comes out

Woke up this morning and there's a steady stream of bubbles coming from the air stone. It is halfway down in the tank, should I move it to the bottom? Also, should I keep the air stone or get a different kind of diffuser? The air stone is working fine, it just looks ghetto.

Okay, I was doing a bit of reading... Should I keep my air stone or buy something different to diffuse the CO2? I've heard good things about using a small filter, but I need some opinions before I buy it:

Amazon.com: Hagen Elite Underwater Mini Filter, UL Listed: Pet Supplies

Edit #1:

Also have seen things about micro bubble air stones or wooden air stones.

Right now, the bubbles are going to the top of the tank and just popping at the top of the water. It's releasing bubbles, but I don't think it's being effective.

Edit #2:

I also have an extra Fluval pre-filter sponge I can stick the air stone down inside.

Last edited:
No method of diffusion is 100% efficient but an airstone is definitely more inefficient than other methods. What kind of filter are you running on the tank?

If you are going to start spending money I suggest just getting an actual pressurized system, or saving for one, it's much easier to deal with.

re: the glass diffuser, try blowing through it to see if it takes a ton of pressure to go through. I got a chinese one also to replace an atomic diffuser that required too much pressure to run, but mine doesn't require much pressure at all bubble.

jetajockey said:
If you are going to start spending money I suggest just getting an actual pressurized system, or saving for one, it's much easier to deal with.

re: the glass diffuser, try blowing through it to see if it takes a ton of pressure to go through. I got a chinese one also to replace an atomic diffuser that required too much pressure to run, but mine doesn't require much pressure at all bubble.

I have the same issue with the chinese diffuser, what would remedy this?

Unfortunately there is not much at all that can remedy this except tossing it and getting a new one. That is part of the risk of buying the Chinese knockoff products. Of course, you can buy about 5 of them for the cost of the brand name ones, so if 1 out of 3 or 4 is bad, you still save a ton of cash...

I went to my LFS and they had them for 12.99 and on ebay i bought one for 2.50. Lesson learned once again, cheap isnt always better.

I tried hooking up the glass diffuser to my Tetra air pump that I use for my oxygen air stone that I pump at night. It didn't do anything. I'll try blowing in the tubing now.

Back
Top Bottom