DIY CO2 solution in tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHawk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just made a major bone-headed mistake and I need some quick help...I accidently squeezed some solution from my CO2 2 litter bottle into my aquarium last night (I didn't realize it until this AM). The solution is water, yeast and sugar. Anyway, today the water is extremely cloudy and the fish are sucking for air at the top of the tank. Just disconnect the CO2, did a 50% water change, added an airstone. I'm worried I really messed it up. The fish are not looking so hot. Anyone every done this or heard of someone who did? Recommendations? Is there something I can add that kills the yeast in the tank?

Thanks!!!

Things are not looking good. The tank is soo cloudy you can barely see through it. I'm wondering if adding the O2 is feeding the yeast in the tank. I'm also assuming the cloudiness is from the yeast. ANYBODY out there?? Need a little help over here...

I dunno what else to recommend than more water changes. How much solution got into your tank?

Yeast is a fungus. You might try some anti-fungus medicine.

Please note this is just a wild guess on my part. It might have no effect, but would make a decent back-up plan if you can't find a better one.

Thanks for the help, guys. Been doing the water changes & did add some anti-fungal med as well...I was thinking along the same lines. Read somewhere in my google journey yesterday about doing water changes might exasperate the yeast growth since they gobble up the 02 in the tank. I also put on a filter with a micron attachment. By the way, I will be purchasing a python today after hauling these buckets back & forth.

maybe try adding some more bubble stones to the tank to help release the co2 then... might also try cutting the light to the tank if at all possible

you might also try an algicide...

in winemaking we use campdem tablets (Sodium Metabisulfite) to kill yeast quickly-- 1 tablet per gallon. any sulfite should do. i dont know if these are safe for fish but it may be worth looking into

Do not add any anti fungus med or algicide. Just do 40% partial water change every few hours will do.

Btw what fish u have in the tank?

ouch major mistake, I feel bad for you. . . many a fish have died from this relatively common mistake. . . . let us know!

First of all, I appreciate the many responses & recommendations...Things are looking up after spending the past couple of days doing massive water changes (Python ordered promptly after the first day after hauling buckets around!) I did add the antifungal med the first day before I got that recommendation not to. I also added the micro-filter for a day. The water is looking good now. Need to do some testing today. One fish died but that could be due to an unrelated issue I'm having with my school of Dwarf Neon Rainbows. Now, I'm struggling with Algae issues in my tank. Oh, did I mention, this is my first planted tank? Bet ya couldn't tell! The plants look kinda bad, to be honest. It's a 38 gallon with a compact 2.5 WPG -(6700), cannister-xp2. :fadein:

Lets pretend I don't know anything about planted tanks.... (ok, its true, I don't) ... what is the water/yeast/sugar solution for? Are you making fish alcohol? :?

the combination in an anerobic enviroment does make alcohol...but it also does make carbon dioxiode (co2). Plants need this to grow. I believe in a standard tank with no co2 being injected it's only about 3ppm of co2. Ideally you want 25-30 if i remember right. The problem here is the mixture is supposed to stay out of the tank and remain in a bottle. =p Unfortunately he squeeze some of it into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom