diy co2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwk5270

Aquarium Advice Activist
So how difficult is it to make and use a diy co2 system for my 30 gallon tank? Any instruction on how to make one?

So how difficult is it to make and use a diy co2 system for my 30 gallon tank? Any instruction on how to make one?

Great question because I am being surprised with a 20 gallon tank today and I want to make it a planted tank...(he couldn't be sneaky enough for me not to find out ..lol):whistle:

Type it in google, you'll get a but load of results.
Its not recommended on a tank larger than 10g tho, even tho it can work sometimes

You very likely will need more than one 2L reactor for a tank that size. They're really pretty simple to put together. As previously mentioned, google will give you dozens of how-tos.

The Diy Co2 works great provided you scale it up for the larger tanks, I liked to use them when first setting up a planted tank to help give the plants a boost while they are getting established in the tank. for a 30 gallon tank 1 2liter bottle should be sufficient just keep an eye on it for the first two weeks if you feel you need more Co2 add another 2 liter bottle on a separate air stone. Also if you don't have enough light the plants won't be able to take full advantage of the Co2.

This is the first time I've ever heard that 1 2 liter bottle is only good enough for a 10 gallon tank curious as to where you found that information.

A 2l barely worked for my 10g, but maybe i wasnt diffusing well en. Enough. But ive heard that DIY is incosistent and laking in large setups.

Evilgrin said:

This is the first time I've ever heard that 1 2 liter bottle is only good enough for a 10 gallon tank curious as to where you found that information.

Personal experience. If you were using an air stone, you were probably experiencing particularly bad diffusion as the bubbles created are too large for proper diffusion, rise to quickly, and much of your co2 is lost when it breaks the surface. With better diffusion methods like ceramics, inline, or directly into an impeller, you use less co2 to achieve similar results. You can also increase throughput with more yeast in your mixture on more frequent broth swaps. Another interesting idea would be to split up your broth into two 2L bottles and swap them on a rotating weekly basis.

Yes, it certainly is true that you'll have consistency issues with DIY co2 setups, it is strictly better than the alternative of no carbon supplementation.

EDIT: I might be misunderstanding you. Are you skeptical that 1 2L will be enough for a 10g, or that greater than 1 2L is needed for 10g+?

Last edited:
Ahh ok one thing with Diy CO2 setup's is they are almost never the same while most will use re-purposed soda bottles with the logic that they can contain the pressure I have found that that exact attribute is more of a detriment since they do tend to flex quite a bit and can lead to rather inconsistent results (it will work if it's all you have) When I ran the Diy setup I used 50-60oz juice bottles from one of the big box stores and that worked great the plastic doesn't tend to flex nearly as much and it allows for more consistent results. Another weak link in the chain so to speak is the quality of the yeast and how much dies off due to the water being to hot and if you mix a small batch in say a cup of water that you then add to the main bottle after the yeast has been activated.
IMHO I think lighting and Diy CO2 work very well together and can really cause your plants to go into overdrive in terms of growth just make sure you add in Ferts into the water column or the substrate or both or it's not going to last very long as the plant will exhaust all the nutrients in the tank.

By they way as said above an air stone is not the best choice for CO2 I've used lime wood air diffusers in the past with good results made very fine bubbles that got even smaller before hitting the surface of the water, but directing the flow into the intake of your filter is a good way to assure 100% absorption,

About a few months ago, I dove in to my first DIY CO2 project. It has done an AMAZING job at producing some healthy plants (with lights and ferts considered). Anyway, I found this youtube video to be very helpful:
The best DIY Aquarium Co2 System with bubble counter and recipe - YouTube

And the recipe I used was from:
Aquatic Eden - Aquascaping Aquarium Blog

I've read that the mini elite filter (pictured in the video above), which can be modified in to a diffuser, does a great job at getting the co2 to diffuse in the water... especially in a low pressure system as what DIY would offer.
Amazon.com

Video of assembling the DIY diffuser:

I personally use the Fluval Ceramic diffuser (bought from Amazon) which does a great job as well. The only thing with the ceramic diffuser is that you have to wait almost 24 hours for enough pressure to build to push co2 through the fine pore of the ceramic disk. As long as you make sure that you assemble your DIY system with care not to have leaks, it should work like a charm.

My DIY setup with the Fluval Ceramic Diffuser:

Don't forget to get a check valve too! Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom