DIY CO2 Systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the co2 actually gets absorbed into the water, otherwise you just have a bunch of co2 bubbles rising to the surface and popping. Useless.

paytertot said:
You could but it would need to be a quality airstone and I don't think you'd get as much absorption

What if I use something like the picture I put?
I know the ceramic bowl thing is the ideal thing to use but how much is it and I didn't see it at petcos or petsmarts site

Do you have a canister filter? I run my co2 tubing right into the intake. You can also cram a piece of bamboo chopstick into the end or buy one of those tiny filter things. It's called Elite mini filter system. Check out this video:

Also, this is the best recipe I've found. I follow this step by step and always have co2 within 2 hours max, that lasts for over 2 weeks.

Oh okay awesome that's how I planned it if it doesn't work I'll look into the filter
But I got a question okay the big bottle that has the recipe is filled up with water but the second one is also filled with water?
The one on the video had water others didn't

paytertot said:
Also, this is the best recipe I've found. I follow this step by step and always have co2 within 2 hours max, that lasts for over 2 weeks.

which one? the one in the video?

Fishandmusic81 said:
Oh okay awesome that's how I planned it if it doesn't work I'll look into the filter
But I got a question okay the big bottle that has the recipe is filled up with water but the second one is also filled with water?
The one on the video had water others didn't

And yes the bubble counter is halfway filled, with the tube from the reactor going into the water, and the other one about a half inch below the cap, of wherever its not in the water

paytertot said:
And yes the bubble counter is halfway filled, with the tube from the reactor going into the water, and the other one about a half inch below the cap, of wherever its not in the water

Ok I then I think I'm ready to start my own co2 man I hope it works out
Does it matter how big the bubble counter is I plan on using a 16oz

That would work. A baby food jar would work really well but if you don't have one, a regular bottle is good too

After waiting 24 hours with nothing, I considered mine either leaky or just not having enough pressure and c02 from the mixture.

Started again with a new 2L bottle and made sure there were no leaks - good way to do it is to turn your caps upside down, fill the cap with water but not too much that it can leak into the tubing, and see if any water drains down between the lid and outside of the tube!!

Wish me luck this time lol

Alternately, you can take just your rigging (ie no mash yet, nothing in the burp), submerge in in a bucket/tub, and blow into the end where the CO2 will be coming out. You should see bubbles where you have a leak. Remember that you will eventually see bubbles if you get enough pressure, but your rig hopefully won't need to be under too much pressure if you're not using a diffuser.

Alternately, you can take just your rigging (ie no mash yet, nothing in the burp), submerge in in a bucket/tub, and blow into the end where the CO2 will be coming out. You should see bubbles where you have a leak. Remember that you will eventually see bubbles if you get enough pressure, but your rig hopefully won't need to be under too much pressure if you're not using a diffuser.

Ah yeah, good call. Aqua_chem, in your experience, how long has it taken for the mixture to start producing? I'm basically using the standard recipe that is everywhere on the Internet. Doing it correctly insofar as activating it first, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast and tsp baking soda, making sure the water isn't too hot (can it be too cold?), checking for no leaks, using a bubble counter correctly as written and placing it in the outlet of my internal filter through a home made reactor...does it just take a good amount of time for the pressure to build up enough?

Depends on the set up, yeast, temp, etc. It should start producing pretty quickly though.

As far as temp goes, your CO2 production will be proportional to the mash's temp, with hotter temps making more gas but also exhausting sooner. That's one of the things that makes DIY CO2 so inconsistent. Not only will CO2 production vary based on age of the mash, but also on temperature.

I would endeavor to keep the mash above 50 F/ 15 C.

Back
Top Bottom