DIY filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Javaman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Made my own filter with a powerhead, plastic bottle, hose, and filter fiber. It filters like an animal i also have some bio rings in bottle where the water rushes out...any suggestions? Has anybody else done this? Will the bactiria grow in clear filter with light going in?

A picture or schematic would be an excellent first step. Otherwise, I'm having a difficult time picturing what you're describing.

don't mean to hijack this thread...but could you use filter media, K1 for example, in the sponge compartment for a small internal filter?

would that work? and would it be better than sponge?

again, sorry to hijack

DSC_0998.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

• DSC_0999.jpg
    DSC_0999.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 71
I'm certain bacteria will grow on that media. When I first read your description, I visualized the bottle under the powerhead with the media reversed from how it looks you have it along the lines of the Aqua Clear Quick Filter.

I used to work at a LFS in a past life, and a note to that effect was on a lot of medicines. I think the intent was to keep you from using it on yourself (in the case of antibiotics) or food fish as I guess it wasn't regulated by the FDA. I also adopted it to mean"if you don't follow the instructions, don't blame me for whatever happens next!"

I also just something in my signature.

end of the tube is above filter fiber and water exits below below the bio rings through like 30 little hole......in order from the top the water comes down throught the fiber through some carbon which is inside filter fiber then through bio rings then which exits straight down

You can make an hob-like thing. DIY Hang On Back Filter (HOB) - YouTube
Do something like that but with the hose shooting to the bottom, then have the water rise through the filter floss, then bio rings then cut a hole to let the water out.
It makes for a cleaner view when you are looking into the tank.

Ok, I see two significant issues.

1) Are those little cylinders actual biomedia, or are they course filtration? I got little rings like that that came with my eheim filter, and they were pretty smooth (low surface area) and designed to catch big chunks going into my filter so that they didn't block the finer filtration rather than serve as biomedia.

2) You might get better results if you do the same thing, except with the tube at the bottom and water coming out of the top. The way, the filter is driven by the pump and not simply by gravity (which may be an ineffective way to go about it. If you're getting good results with it the way it is, that's fine. If you try and scale it up though (such as getting a higher flow pump) you might run into issues.

Back
Top Bottom