DIY fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Now, honestly, this whole lighting business is a lot of confusing for me, so forgive me if I sound stupid. But, would it be possible to jury rig a T5HO ballast into the plastic housing for my T8 bulb over my 20 gallon? Or am I just getting confused over what ballasts and fixtures are all about?

The area under the housing is clear plastic, so I don't think I'd have to worry about evaporating water or anything, but I honestly just haven't the faintest clue what I'm doing (and sort of just wish I could do something easy with this tank like the cfl bulbs I put in my 5 and 10 gallons)

Ballasts provide the power for a certain bulb. An HO ballast puts out more power than a non-HO ballast.

The fixture provides the connections and the reflectors for the bulb. I don't believe a T5 bulb will fit in a T8 fixture, simply because the connector pins on the ends of the bulb are in different locations.

A T5HO bulb is really just a heavy-duty bulb. It's designed to take more current and put out more light than a regular T5 bulb. A regular T5 bulb can be used in a T5HO fixture. This is called overdriving the bulb. It will put out more light than if it were in a regular T5 fixture, but it'll burn out more quickly. Conversely, a T5HO bulb doesn't work very well in a regular T5 fixture. There's just not enough power to get the bulb started very well.

Putting an HO ballast on your T8 fixture is just simply overdriving the bulb. It'll work just fine, but the bulbs will burn out faster.

You'll have to get new end caps as well... IMO it would be easier to just buy a fixture. a nice T5HO fixture for a 20g tank isnt going to cost a fortune anyways.

Putting an HO ballast on your T8 fixture is just simply overdriving the bulb. It'll work just fine, but the bulbs will burn out faster.

I think the intent is to get a T5HO ballast & run T5HO bulbs in the fixture .... I don't think there is any point in overdriving a T8.

A retro-fit kit is prob a better solution. You rip out the T8's gut & replace it with T5HO parts. The retro-fit is not going to cost much more than the ballast + endcaps, and you get the most important part of the T5-HO system - the reflectors. The T5HO reflectors should be specially designed to get the light into the tank. Without them, it really isn't worth the upgrade.

OTOH, a new fixture may also be cost effective ... esp. with the recent price drops I noticed.

I think the intent is to get a T5HO ballast & run T5HO bulbs in the fixture .... I don't think there is any point in overdriving a T8.

A retro-fit kit is prob a better solution. You rip out the T8's gut & replace it with T5HO parts. The retro-fit is not going to cost much more than the ballast + endcaps, and you get the most important part of the T5-HO system - the reflectors. The T5HO reflectors should be specially designed to get the light into the tank. Without them, it really isn't worth the upgrade.

OTOH, a new fixture may also be cost effective ... esp. with the recent price drops I noticed.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking of. Getting a new fixture might be simpler in the long run, but then I would need to replace the top of my tank with something else to keep the leaping loaches in check. They splash around so much, an open top would never work out.

Ok, so I finally measured to see what I would need if I bought one, (24") and I guess they aren't as bad as I thought. With a height of approximately 15", would one bulb make my tank high light? I'd like more light definitely, but I'm not too keen on getting involved in CO2.

Also, if I were to get one of those fixtures, does anyone know of a good replacement cover for my tank that would fit well with the fixture?

Back
Top Bottom