Diy foam background with sand fall.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joefiatoa

Aquarium Advice Regular
This has been a long time in the making and planning. A lot of research and time. But I think it turned out pretty nice. I'm excited to see how it grows and turns out after establishing. I'll go over the build for the most part. You'll have to YouTube the actual sand fall build.

Background

•Great stuff foam
•dry-lock powder mix
•ge silicone 1
•aquarium safe silicone
•pvc tube
•air stone and air tube
•spit dish used in hospitals (funny story on how I got it)

I first laid the tank on its back flat on the ground.

I place the pvc tube where I wanted the water fall to be.

I then sprayed and layered the foam to be a thick as i wanted to be on the back and over the pvc tube.

I then put the spit dish with a cut out back under where I wanted to put the and and sprayed the foam around to make a catch pit for the sand fall.

After I sprayed the foam I let it cure for a day and then mixed some dry lock mix and applied it with a paint brush. Make sure it is thick enough to make a good coat. I put about 2 coats on.

After I let that dry a day I put a layer of ge silicone 1 over the top of the dry lock to seal it. I let that dry a day. And put on a second layer of aquarium safe silicone on that.

I then super glued on some Java moss Id been saving for this project.

In hind sight I would have built up a bigger wall for the catch pit but it can be adjusted later. But I think I can just use some rocks and build it up. Or maybe some drift wood like a Lincoln log house lol.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422329373.083753.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422329389.215207.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422329401.667047.jpg

Then the normal Aquascaping techniques to finish it off. I used the organic potting mix for the first layer of substrate and then capped it with regular black gravel.

I have 2 65w cfl bulbs and a diy co2 set going.

Let me know what you think guys.

Back
Top Bottom