DIY root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sliderfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have used API root tabs in my newly planted 29 gal and am not happy with the price of them (nor is my wife lol). I want to give my plants the best chance I can give them to look there best, but spending the insane prices for root tabs is frustrating. I've done a lot of research and read a lot of threads and think I am going to make my own Osmocote plus root tabs. I can get 100 gel caps for $4.50 (1000 for less than $25)and the Osmocote Plus for $15-$20 for 4.5lbs. This seems like a no brainer to me...

The main thing I want to know is if anyone else is doing something similar. If so, how often do you use it and what size gel caps do you use? I have read size "00" is the way to go, but wouldn't mind someone refirming my beliefs :). If anyone else has experience in this I'd like to hear your story!

Can't say I've heard of anyone using gelcaps for root tabs. I think they'd dissolve too quickly. I have seen people use terra cotta clay. The red clay has iron in it already, so you just roll your ferts into it.

The purpose of using the gelcaps just a delivery method to get the osmocote into the substrate. Another simple method is put a thin layer of osmocote in ice cube trays, cover with water and freeze. Once frozen you can push them into substrate where needed.

the gelcaps are just to hold the osmocote from what I understand, you put X amount into it place it under the substrate, the gel dissolves and then you have your osmocote in place. I've read where people skip the gelcaps and just use small ice cubes instead. Put some osmocote in an icetray put a bit of water over them freeze and put it under the substrate. Mind you I have not tried any of these methods just researching and trying to figure out what will work best for me.

I've read 00 size same as you and if i recall from my reading they replace them every 6 months that part is kind of fuzzy for me though lol

Last edited:
Yes the gel caps are only to get the osmocote into the substrate where I want it, then it dissolves away. Basically the same premise as the ice cube method. I just choose this to have some on constant stand by with out having to clog up my already small freezer ;)

@sake glad to see your finding out something similiar to me :) How often is still the main question it seems. For gardening I've read quite a bit that once every 6-8 months is what is recommended I do not know how this would translate to the aquarium, guessing just a bit shorter...hopefully someone can enlighten us more.

Back
Top Bottom