DIY Root Tabs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May I ask where you got your handy-dandy tool? I was just thinking about this today since I have to go almost up to my shoulder, standing on a stool, to get to the bottom of my tank....

I got it at petco. 10 bucks. comes with a gripper head and a scissor head which are easily interchanged. It's a must have in IMO.

How many of the osmocote pellets do you use for your amazon sword?

When I first started with them I only used 3-4 because I also was using up the last of seachem tabs I had, but when I was told about them by a member on here if your using them exclusively use 6.

May I ask where you got your handy-dandy tool? I was just thinking about this today since I have to go almost up to my shoulder, standing on a stool, to get to the bottom of my tank....

You can get those at most LFS. I got the same one from Petco. It also comes with a cutting attachment. Think it cost $10-15.
You can also find them online if you prefer.
Planted Aquarium Plant Care: Aquarium Plant Pruning Tool

Osomocote is safe for Fish? I worry about my VERY expensive fish, and I try not to put too much "chemical" in tank. I'm looking for fert to keep Crypto Wendaii from melting so much, and help Anubias Coffee growing good !!

Osomocote is safe for Fish? I worry about my VERY expensive fish, and I try not to put too much "chemical" in tank. I'm looking for fert to keep Crypto Wendaii from melting so much, and help Anubias Coffee growing good !!

BK, I'm the same way about chemicals. Having a high light planted tank has required me to go against that thinking for the plants. I'v been using it for a few months now with rams, rummies and oto's. They aren't discus when it comes to price. but require pretty much the same water quality and took hard earned cash to perchase. Rams are spawning and everyone's happy.

I am curious to know what you use that is melting your wedaii.

Last edited:
It is normal for them to melt 3x a year but it sucks. PH shock, temp change all causes it. They grow back - My plants are aggressive iron feeders and love root tabs, but root tabs "yuck" up the gravel and don't last long. Iron makes water smell like,well, iron..... Lol Have to gravel vac out all that is left of tabs in gravel... Osmocote better?? And safe?

Are you using API root tabs? It sounds like them an IMO they suck. As for the osmocote, I was shock at how they hold up in a tank. I just seeded a bunch around my plant a week or so ago and I guess I didn't get one deep enough and it got dug up by a Cory. Anyway, it looks exactly the way it did when I put it in. No swelling or funky dissolving.

Yes API root tabs. It is great for iron but creates stinky tank.... I need another iron choice. Seachem tabs do not have iron. API they dissolve VERY fast! Have to vac out W/in a week.
So the gelatin capsules didn't dissolve? (That's what everyone on here said to get to make your own Osmocote fert,, )
Even after a week when Cory dug it up? Doesn't seem to work then.? Or give it time to dissolve ?
Is that how you use it? "Make your own"

They definitely release the root feeders show that. I just mean that even fully submersed in water they are holding their size and shape. Which makes me assume that they will release as designed.

Yeah, I tried the API tabs only once. Had to do a 90% water change because the water had turned to milk. Never again! Replace monthly my behind!

I planted my osmocote gel capsules over two weeks ago and have yet to see them surface even with my curious corries. If they are deep enough I can't see it being an issue. Also, Osmocote does NOT contain iron, which really defeats the purpose ? I'm in the process of finding a safe DIY iron supplement for my gel caplets.

What about people iron supplement crushed into powder? Like Slow Fe? I don't know how much fish can handle once it is released since you can die from Fe overdose 0_o
maybe seachem iron is the way to go and then use root tabs for the other stuff
- is nutrients removed with carbon ? I have carbon in filter

I have been using Seachem Iron with visual (positive) results within the first 10 days. That thing works!

Yeah not sure about pharmaceutical Fe wouldn't want to risk it. Just stumbled on osmocote plus and I think that's the end all solution has NPK and other necessary trace elements like iron so it's a winner for me. Anyone use the "Plus" version?

Back
Top Bottom