DIY Root Tabs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the little beads not powder but yes. Easy and cheap in the long run

A lot of people use O+, it's pretty good. I like making my own root tabs personally, so I can control the amount of macros in particular. The terrestrial root tabs like O+ usually have a lot of Po4 in them, which isn't an issue in the dirt but in an aquarium it can be a problem. Also, they utilize ammoniacal nitrogen, i.e .ammonia, in part for their N source. It's in small amounts, but if you add enough of this stuff to your tank, or it gets crushed or dissolved into the column, you are going to have a serious problem with your fish in the form of Nh3 poisoning. The same is true with other terrestrial ferts like jobes plant spikes or miracle gro spikes.

I figured one capsule near my microsword and one near my HC would be ok. But yeah I have noticed more slight traces of ammonia as opposed to zero with the ferts

Are you using API root tabs? It sounds like them an IMO they suck. As for the osmocote, I was shock at how they hold up in a tank. I just seeded a bunch around my plant a week or so ago and I guess I didn't get one deep enough and it got dug up by a Cory. Anyway, it looks exactly the way it did when I put it in. No swelling or funky dissolving.

You really had a Cory dig one up? I haven't had that happen to me, weird.

Yes API root tabs. It is great for iron but creates stinky tank.... I need another iron choice. Seachem tabs do not have iron. API they dissolve VERY fast! Have to vac out W/in a week.
So the gelatin capsules didn't dissolve? (That's what everyone on here said to get to make your own Osmocote fert,, )
Even after a week when Cory dug it up? Doesn't seem to work then.? Or give it time to dissolve ?
Is that how you use it? "Make your own"

I don't vacuum my planted tanks. I bury my DIY Root Caps as deep as I can. Why are you vacuuming your Root Tabs ?

There are DIY Caps w Iron. A seller had them on here in the Mart section and on TPT.

I second the vacuum question. I don't see how the tabs would surface and make a mess unless they were not planted properly. I too force them in as deep as possible and my corries really only skim the surface I've never seen them actually penetrate my substrate. Also, vacuuming a planted tank is not ideal. Whereas a normal tank you want to get rid of the nitrogen elements, plants benefit from the gunk and debris that can accumulate within the substrate. Of course the exception is what remains on the surface in which can be vacuumed. Stirring up the substrate is also extremely stressful on fish as it will initiate ammonia spikes.

IME, the API tabs dissolve almost immediate upon contact with water. If you do not push them down thoroughly then they will appear to leach whitish particles at the surface of the gravel. This happened to me once and the result was milky water. I believe the vacuumer a few posts back was trying to remove the API tab remnants (rather than have them continue to be introduced into the water column).

I second the vacuum question. I don't see how the tabs would surface and make a mess unless they were not planted properly. I too force them in as deep as possible and my corries really only skim the surface I've never seen them actually penetrate my substrate. Also, vacuuming a planted tank is not ideal. Whereas a normal tank you want to get rid of the nitrogen elements, plants benefit from the gunk and debris that can accumulate within the substrate. Of course the exception is what remains on the surface in which can be vacuumed. Stirring up the substrate is also extremely stressful on fish as it will initiate ammonia spikes.

This is very informative to me because I have just finished cycling a 36 gal planted tank, my first. I have been wondering about PWC, vacuuming and how to feed the plants. I have understood from an earlier comment, that it's most likely unnecessary for me to worry about CO2, but have been reading with interest the comments about root feeding. I have ordered some Flourish Excel, but wasn't sure if that would be adequate for the plants.

Well your fert requirement depends on the type of plant. Anything rooted in the substrate will require some type of substrate fertilizer, regardless of whether you have a plant specific substrate like Eco-complete. The benefit of those types of substrates is the fact that fish waste and other debris will eventually make its way into the substrate and become accessible to plants as it decomposes. The thing is if you are going to incorporate more of something like Co2, light, or ferts, you must increase everything to achieve equilibrium. A low light system is of course the exception to the rule (java ferns, java moss, anubias). There are other members who can get into rich detail about this as I'm still a novice but I have learned a great deal already on this forum.

Just curious... I was searching on amazon for Osmocote plus and in those results a fert called dynamite organic all purpose fertilizer came up. I tried looking at the list of ingriedients from the manufacturers site but the site never would load... It said it has both micro and macro nutrients. Has anyone ever tried this as a DIY fert? For amazon pricing, it's about $10 cheaper than Osmocote plus and it qualifies for super saver shipping while Osmocote plus doesn't (sorry, I'm a cheapo at times lol)

Just curious... I was searching on amazon for Osmocote plus and in those results a fert called dynamite organic all purpose fertilizer came up. I tried looking at the list of ingriedients from the manufacturers site but the site never would load... It said it has both micro and macro nutrients. Has anyone ever tried this as a DIY fert? For amazon pricing, it's about $10 cheaper than Osmocote plus and it qualifies for super saver shipping while Osmocote plus doesn't (sorry, I'm a cheapo at times lol)

I actually spotted this yesterday in a garden store and picked it up for $6. Very similiar ingredients to Osmocote Plus but I believe it's only Micro's in the one I got. Gonna give it a go in a month once my API tabs run their course

I actually spotted this yesterday in a garden store and picked it up for $6. Very similiar ingredients to Osmocote Plus but I believe it's only Micro's in the one I got. Gonna give it a go in a month once my API tabs run their course

I'm just wondering if its a better all around fertilizer than the Osmocote I'm using (indoor/outdoor) since it said it had both macro and micro nutrients.

You could do us both a solid and post a thread with the ingredients asking some senior members if its safe lol. Even osmocote plus can potentially be dangerous if dosed incorrectly. I have inside outside osmocote too and it's biggest flaw is lack of iron.

You could do us both a solid and post a thread with the ingredients asking some senior members if its safe lol. Even osmocote plus can potentially be dangerous if dosed incorrectly. I have inside outside osmocote too and it's biggest flaw is lack of iron.

That's one thing I've noticed, but my amazon sword doesn't seem to be suffering much, but I would also like to see what how my swords react with something with iron in it.

I don't vacuum my planted tanks. I bury my DIY Root Caps as deep as I can. Why are you vacuuming your Root Tabs ?

There are DIY Caps w Iron. A seller had them on here in the Mart section and on TPT.

I vac the substrate very well once a week because of Corys. I've lost a couple to Barbel Rot. Then infection.
Regardless of plants liking the gunk in gravel.

My amazon is doing very well without iron supplementation but my micros are not. I also just recently realized my lighting is not very conducive (65w actinic and 65w daylight 10000k). Got it second hand and didn't realize at first so I'm hoping that's also an issue for my foreground and my algae issue. Getting two 6700k bulbs tonight on amazon.

I vac the substrate very well once a week because of Corys. I've lost a couple to Barbel Rot. Then infection.

I have been used to vacuuming once a week and doing a PWC as well since I had a very small tank. I would think that if you are feeding your plants and they have the correct lighting that a little housekeeping on the substrate would be healthier for all. Still learning though and it's interesting to read the different opinions and what works well for different people.

Hmmm ok. I think as long as your water quality is excellent and you keep up your water changes, I wouldn't think you'd need to vacuum so thoroughly. Also gravel is tricky with root tabs. Larger gravel won't keep the little beads buried.
I use sand in my Cory tank so I can't vacuum deeply. I do swirl above the sand and suck out detritus.

There are a lot of theories on exact causes for Barbel Erosion. I keep Corydoras habrosus.

Good luck :)

Forgot to mention a Pleco. (Poop machine) I have 7 different species of Cory's in my 40g and 15 live plants, only Crypt W. do I root feed. Everything else seems to do ok with Flourish and Excel dumped in water. 4 different Anubias, water sprite, some kind of grass, ferns, and something in the back that grows like crazy, you can look at my pics in my profile if you want to. ;)

Forgot to mention a Pleco. (Poop machine) I have 7 different species of Cory's in my 40g and 15 live plants, only Crypt W. do I root feed. Everything else seems to do ok with Flourish and Excel dumped in water. 4 different Anubias, water sprite, some kind of grass, ferns, and something in the back that grows like crazy, you can look at my pics in my profile if you want to. ;)

Any crypt is a root feeder, so if your not using a root tab of some sort it would be good if you did.

Back
Top Bottom