do Crypts have a resting period?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
My big Crypt in the center of my tank seems to be going through a melting phase....but nothing has changed in the tank (well, it has now, but the plant was melting before that). Has anyone had a Crypt do this? Should I just let it be and wait for it to grow back?

Crypts sure are finicky! I have even moved one (within the same tank) and experienced no melting. Then some others have melted a few leaves for no apparent reason. I did have one melt entirely. I thought it was gone for good but a month later, some new little leaves popped up.

Give your crypt lots of time and it should come back. Mine have usually started to grow new leaves within a week or two of a melt, but the one that took a month to come back is very healthy now and has 4 or 5 leaves.

Occasionally, yes. They can do that. I just had the same thing happen in my 5.5G. I thought I was going to lose all my crypts in there. But then, started popping up some new leaves within a weeks time. They are back in full force once again. And yes, they all melted away at the same time. And I made no changes either.

I've found some crypts are more susceptible to "crypt melt" than others. I have a Red Wendtii that I move around all the time and I have the most success with it than any other plant. On the other hand I have a VERY similar crypt called Lutea and it melts if I look at it funny.

I have had Crypts (Red Wendtiis) that just melt for no reason. Usually if they have been planted in one spot for awhile, they just melt out of the blue. I've even had one melt completely, but it eventually came back. Its quite interesting when they do this.....but can really piss you off. :)

I changed my fert schedule, and my Bronze Wendtii dropped everyone one of its leaves, it just put out four tiny new leaves after 2 months, so i hope it makes a full comeback.

Some of mine seem to have gone through a 'phase' where they seem to be not doing so well and some leaves appear to have 'melted'

I think crypts are strange personally because they can tolerate such low light levels, for that reason i respect them. lol
Also i would like to think i am quite patient with them too, i think they need that as there not fast growers either.

Back
Top Bottom