Do I have enough co2. A closer look.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im just getting started with Co2 in a plant only/qt tank
This helped a lot

That's good then. You can afford to turn the co2 up a lot more with only plants [emoji106]

Just remember that of the co2 that is injected in to the water column a lot is actually lost to atmosphere then what remains must make it to the plants.

There is no definitive measure for co2 in the water column. You must have patience. The plants can take time to respond but when you find that sweet spot between PAR, co2 and nutrients the growth will follow.

Use drop checkers and ph meters dubiously and observe with your eyes. They are your best test kit, they do not lie to you and you do not have to pay to use them.

Good luck

Thanks.

I found this video too and its a very interesting take on co2 injection vs. not doing so due to environmental factors but he also discusses many properties of Co2 in a low tech manner which is informing

https://youtu.be/sMtG2-Cuoq4

Okay. So how long should I wait before I should start to worry?

Few weeks should be fine. After 2-3 weeks your plants should un melt and u should see noticeable growth. Excel is always good anyway in my opinion. Not only is it a carbon source but it aids as an algicide aswell

Wait, excel helps with algae?! I didn't know that. Would it help prevent algae growth on Anubias leaves?

It's very very mild so it won't help with a big problem but it does help with killing it. U really need to find the cause of the algae rather than just dosing stuff to kill it. Excel helps but is not a prevention.

As a beginner the most common reason people get algae is due to too much light. Light is always the best starting point. U want to find the lowest strength of your light u can have but still have good growth. It takes months to work out the balance of everything. The only time u can have unlimited light is if u have unlimited nutrients and unlimited co2. If 1 of these is too strong u will get constant algae blooms. Also weekly water changes are a must in a planted tank. If I miss my water change day the next day algae appears (not a large amount but enough to need to clean the tank)

Hey I did a little research and I've been seeing a lot of people saying that Excel and anacharis (Elodea) don't mix well and results in the plant melting and dying. That's a problem because I've got a lot of elodea and I don't want them to die.

It did kill mine. As ive heard others say it melted theres too. One thing I didnt do which I should have is step up the dose a little at a time. Ive heard that elodea and vals can survive when done this way.

Back
Top Bottom