Do I have too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppo8820

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey planted people
I have a 29 gallon tall tank with a 25 watt fluval plant life LED light on it. I have root tabs, and dose with flourish and excel. I do not have Co2. I recently added another identical light and now I have black type algae starting on my lower growing plant leaves. I am thinking maybe I have too much light to not have co2. Its hard to say with these LED's how much is too much. Anyone that can provide any feedback, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

It's about 1 watt for ever gallon. Remember plants can get burned with too much light. Signs of this is Turning red or yellow or hole in leaves. (Other things can cause all of these.) if you want more light you could also put it near a window ceil. This way different wave leghths will be provided to your tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

i dont think its to much light and watts per gallon is completly irrelevant when you get into LEDs, i think the algae is probably caused excess nutrients in the water. start doing some water changes. photos would help

Spot check your problem plants with your excel, it works really well, best time is when your water is low during a WC, put some in a dropper and go right down to the plants....

It's about 1 watt for ever gallon. Remember plants can get burned with too much light. Signs of this is Turning red or yellow or hole in leaves. (Other things can cause all of these.) if you want more light you could also put it near a window ceil. This way different wave leghths will be provided to your tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

i dont think its to much light and watts per gallon is completly irrelevant when you get into LEDs, i think the algae is probably caused excess nutrients in the water. start doing some water changes. photos would help
Seriously why do people still think this is a thing? LED's put out way more light per "watt" and it varies from LED to LED and from fixture to fixture, a 29g is also a fairly skinny and deep tank.

I'm not saying 2 wont work but its more mid/high light and you will want CO2.

I think it's hard for the old school fish keepers to get their heads around LED'S, time to move on.........

Seriously why do people still think this is a thing? LED's put out way more light per "watt" and it varies from LED to LED and from fixture to fixture, a 29g is also a fairly skinny and deep tank.

I'm not saying 2 wont work but its more mid/high light and you will want CO2.

I don't understand why you quoted me here... I was if anything agreeing with you. there is no way to measure leds as watts per gallon as I stated, rather par is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it's hard for the old school fish keepers to get their heads around LED'S, time to move on.........

leds and fluorescents both have strengths and weaknesses, especially as we get into reefs and things of that nature. leds I do prefer.

I think your right Matt, we have to move on with the times and now LEDS are coming out in tubes to fit original fittings it cut's down the expense.....

I think your right Matt, we have to move on with the times and now LEDS are coming out in tubes to fit original fittings it cut's down the expense.....

well not only this but some of the members on nanoreef, ( kat and Benny for example) have t5HO MIXED with LED between bulbs because the two lighting options offer different growth and colours

And I bet the fish and coral look fantastic, I have t8 tubes and a small led with a remote and it brings out the true colours of my fish.......

I took one off and algae stopped. It's nice I have a back up now. With led lights, watts per gallon doesn't even remotely come close. These lights are designed for max lux, lumen, and par output for plants, so I think two was overkill. Looked like it was radioactive lol

I do 2-3 water changes a week. I have perfect parameters with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0-5 nitrates due to purigen in filter and the plants

Back
Top Bottom