Do I need Co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all I was wondering if I need to start diffusing co2 in my tank. My specs are:
75g medium planted tank with low light plants (mostly) some medium.
8 african cichlids
1 chinese algae eater
1 bristlenose pleco
1 fahaka puffer
3 large pieces of driftwood
sand substrate
I run 2.3watts per gallon light roughly 8hours a day

last water check was 8.0 ph 10nitrate 0am 0nit

Would a 2 liter diy bottle of co2 with one of the glass diffusers placed next to my filter intake help my plants grow better? would I need several? Do I really need it with my tank setup?

thanks for any help.

Hey all I was wondering if I need to start diffusing co2 in my tank. My specs are:
75g medium planted tank with low light plants (mostly) some medium.
8 african cichlids
1 chinese algae eater
1 bristlenose pleco
1 fahaka puffer
3 large pieces of driftwood
sand substrate
I run 2.3watts per gallon light roughly 8hours a day

last water check was 8.0 ph 10nitrate 0am 0nit

Would a 2 liter diy bottle of co2 with one of the glass diffusers placed next to my filter intake help my plants grow better? would I need several? Do I really need it with my tank setup?

thanks for any help.

It depends.

All of your plants would benefit from CO2 injection. Whether or not it is required depends on what you want to accomplish, whether or not you are happy with your plant health/growth. I don't think you could say it is "required" with the amount of light you have.

DIY CO2 would be nearly impossible on a 75G. You would need around 6 2L bottles running to make a large difference. I don't think running 1 or 2 would make a noticeable/appreciable difference for you, and could just end up spurring an outbreak of BBA (it loves unstable co2 injection below 25-30ppm).

However, if you did want to add CO2, you could add a pressurized system for under $200. It would make a noticeable difference in your plant health, it is set it and forget it, and has very low operating costs after the initial setup.

Here are the upfront costs. (my setup right now)
5lb tank - ~60$
5lb fill ~16$
diffuser ~20$
regulator ~70ish (bought mine awhile ago off ebay)

Also for diy co2, you need a certain amount of pressure to get it diffused with a glass diffuser. If you have a canister, you could make one of those inline co2 diffusers, which are like 100% efficient.

You could probably get the co2 tank for cheaper if you get one of the steel ones, but I think the regulator will be the biggest chunk, and after that the tank, then the operating costs are virtually nothing (hydro tests and fills).

I think usually the rule of thumb is above 2w/gal is co2 territory,

Hey thanks, So it looks like Im borderline co2 with 2.33 watts per gallon. These plants I have are brand new just planted so Ill wait and see how they do. if they dont look like they are growing good or doing too well ill look into the co2. thanks again.

also any other comments are appreciated.

Hey Krap101 do you have a picture of that co2 setup?

yeah I have pics in my profile, Also something else I forgot to ask is if some algae grows on my plants / roots will that kill or harm my plant? It seems and algae growth I get is on my plants roots and rocks..

A little messy but it works..

2wr2bde.jpg

fxt46v.jpg

Btw, you probably want something like a co2 drop checker and a bubble counter. Each is probably between 10-20$

nice

Also Does anyone know if some algae is growing on some of my plants roots if it will keep the plant from growing / kill the plant? It is mainly on my smaller plants and java ferns where the roots are more exposed.

fissidens splachnobryoides
plangiomnium trichomanes
star moss
Star moss is pretty widely considered to be non-aquatic.

The jury is still out on the fissidens s... a lot of people say it is non-aquatic as well - I had some for awhile to give it a try. It stayed green, but it never grew.

Just FYI...

Uugghh, I should have read up a little bit more. I emailed the aquatic magic guy, but I think I'll see how it does. If it starts turning to mush I'll move it somewhere else :(

Okay amazingly they already responded... heres the response

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us with your issues.

We really appreciate your understanding.

Some forum post and information on Star moss.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/53779-moss-pharm-journal.html
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquaticmagic/53530-great-quality-moss-s-liverworts.html

High Co2, high light, weekly water changes. Star
moss is actually called "Concrete Moss". It grows
submerged on concrete. Apparently it likes high
alkalinity, maybe the rocks that the moss is on
makes it happy

Hope this information is helpful

Cheers!!
Christine

It grows submerged on concrete?

I think more likely it grows on concrete. She threw the submerged in there. A lot of people have tried growing it submerged... and a lot of people say they have success with it for several months submerged. I don't think it would hurt to leave it in and see how it does. Worst case scenario, you just take it out in a few months if it starts turning brown.

Back
Top Bottom