Do I need CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I upgraded the lighting on my 2.5's this weekend, and now I'm worried I may have too much light on them.

Originally I had one of my boyfriends shop lights hanging over them in the basement, but I wanted to move the tanks into view and so I put the original covers over them and added 13w 6500k CFL's into it.

Now I'm worried that it'll be too much for them. 5.2 watts/gallon....

Is there any way to get out of using CO2? Can I just lower the light schedule, or can I buy some excel and be okay?

Thanks!

If I had been able to find a lower watt bulb in that Kelvin range I would have went that way, but it was practically impossible.

Hopefully Excel will work! I cant afford to do anything with CO2 for another month or so.

Do you also think I should cut the light cycle down? I have always used 12hr/day on all my tanks, but I can change the timers on these 6 to make it less if need be.

Thanks!

If I had been able to find a lower watt bulb in that Kelvin range I would have went that way, but it was practically impossible.

Hopefully Excel will work! I cant afford to do anything with CO2 for another month or so.

Do you also think I should cut the light cycle down? I have always used 12hr/day on all my tanks, but I can change the timers on these 6 to make it less if need be.

For that small of a tank a DIY co2 (about 10$) would be more than adequate. Just change the liquid out when you do your weekly waterchange!

I have a 2.5 gallon tank, with the same 13w bulb, and i add excel. I have really good plant growth.
Heres a pic of the tank.

Attachments

• image-129225733.jpg
    image-129225733.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 50
If you have spiral bulbs, you probably won't need CO2. If you have U-tube bulbs, then you might need it. That's not an unreasonable amount of light in either case.

I have the "sylvania micro-mini CFL"
they are the spiral ones instead of tubular, so I guess it'll just be a waiting game to see what, if anything, I'll need.

gman, your tank looks really good!!

Back
Top Bottom